PDA

View Full Version : Do you remove EXIF data from photos?

terahz
04/15/2010, 12:53 PM
Looking at the photos on this forum it seems like about half of the people that post their work remove all EXIF data. I'd like bring that up for discussion, and get some hard count. Just curious why would people remove all of the EXIF data.

I personally like to keep the exif data in the photos and I do not like when a photo doesn't have any.

What do you think?

Misled
04/15/2010, 01:21 PM
Mine is removed automatically in PS when I save for web to reduce the file and display size. I really don't think you can change it so that it doesn't, though I may be wrong. I reduce the file size for a couple reasons.
1. It takes up less room for pictures on Photobucket.
2. Someone that wants to use the photo without my knowledge, will get a very low res picture.

I keep the originals in case I want to sell or display a high res copy for myself. But if you try to make a poster or use one of mine for your desktop, it probably won't look that good.

Petie
04/15/2010, 02:54 PM
My pics aren't good enough yet to steal :D and I generally just forget it's there.

BlueCorn
04/15/2010, 02:59 PM
Mine is removed automatically in PS when I save for web to reduce the file and display size. I really don't think you can change it so that it doesn't, though I may be wrong.

Depends on the version of PS. CS4 allows you to specify how much gets removed. Earlier versions just removed it all.

Recty
04/15/2010, 03:25 PM
I dont do it intentionally, I just save for web in PS and it happens.

Now that I know CS4 lets you pick and choose, I might remove that option, I dont care if people see my exif.

kilroy217
04/15/2010, 03:35 PM
Lightroom gives you the option to minimize exif data or not upon export. If I know I'm making low-res pics for the web, i do strip it.

terahz
04/15/2010, 05:05 PM
Nice, good start. As far as I know CS3 will allow you to retain the XMP data as well.

BlueCorn
04/15/2010, 05:07 PM
XMP is different than EXIF.

terahz
04/15/2010, 09:08 PM
XMP is different than EXIF.

Very true. I was just pointing out that because, if I remember correctly, when you choose to preserve XMP data, it actually preserves all metadata.

xtm
04/16/2010, 01:14 PM
I make it a point to leave mine intact. Part of it is because I'm a snob.. I like everyone to know that I shoot full frame, a fast 1.4, and manual metering ;) :D

swjim
04/16/2010, 02:14 PM
I make it a point to leave mine intact. Part of it is because I'm a snob.. I like everyone to know that I shoot full frame, a fast 1.4, and manual metering ;) :D

You're not supposed to actually say that out loud. :)

I'm answering yes because I do leave it intact when I upload them to my photo hosting site (Smugmug). That said, Smugmug then creates several resized versions of the images which are the ones I usually link to here but their resize process does not include the EXIF info. I'm linking to the smaller ones out of convenience since they meet the forum image size guidelines, not because they have had the EXIF removed.

xtm
04/17/2010, 12:13 AM
The real reason I leave my EXIF intact is for other members to learn from it.. kinda like courtesy. It's always nice to know exactly what ISO/SS/Aperture someone had used to render an image.

BlueCorn
04/17/2010, 09:23 AM
Very true. I was just pointing out that because, if I remember correctly, when you choose to preserve XMP data, it actually preserves all metadata.

You can't "choose to preserve XMP data." XMP files are the sidecar files created from Adobe Camera RAW. Since you can't actually edit the RAW file, the XMP is basically a script containing all of the software instructions necessary to render the file as you've chosen.

terahz
04/17/2010, 10:42 AM
You can't "choose to preserve XMP data." XMP files are the sidecar files created from Adobe Camera RAW. Since you can't actually edit the RAW file, the XMP is basically a script containing all of the software instructions necessary to render the file as you've chosen.

Ok, my bad, it is not "preserve XMP data" but "Include XMP". Also, you can edit non-raw files in Camera Raw and the XMP doesn't have to be a separate file it can be embedded in the actual image.

Back to my point in CS3 if you select "Include XMP" in the Save for Web and Devices dialog it will preserve all metadata.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109180&stc=1&d=1271522349