PDA

View Full Version : Who on RC pays to have their tank serviced????

Shane Hoffman
04/16/2010, 12:20 PM
Just curious????

shrimphead
04/16/2010, 01:05 PM
are you LA FISH GUY by any chance???

buffalo123
04/16/2010, 01:16 PM
Nobody really love the work as much as viewing but have a certain satisfaction knowing that what they 're viewing is because of the maintenance they do.
that should be one of the choices.

sslak
04/16/2010, 01:26 PM
How about:

"I do it myself because I don't trust anyone else to do it right"

travis32
04/16/2010, 01:51 PM
I do wonder what it would cost to have a monthly service contract.

I used to do RC planes and had friends that loved building the planes more than flying them, so they would spend months building them, then, occasionally fly them.. I hated the building them, it tried my patience, I have a tough time understanding construction and well it literally drove me nuts. So I had them build them for me while I watched and then I flew them. :)

I find the same about fish tanks. The whole plumbing thing drives me nuts and I have no patience for it, plus I have a tough time understanding it. The maintenance / water chemistry I understand and have patience for playing the waiting game of adding things and watching the tank mature. If I ever do a bigger tank or anything that requires complex plumbing, I may have to hire a "plumber" to do it.. :)

Dadekster
04/16/2010, 01:57 PM
I take a vested interest in taking care of my tank. I have lost count of things I caught that needed fixing or some special attention to prevent bigger problems down the road. On the flip side I have also lost count on how many cool new things I have found growing in my tank while taking care of maintance as well. Just yesterday I found a new 'wild' zoa growing on a piece of new/fresh LR I added a week ago.

Metal7fold22
04/16/2010, 03:11 PM
i never had my tank cleaned or serviced i prefere to do it myself...but i checked local stores around me and most do it for about 1 dollar per every gallon of your tank..so if its a 60 gallon it would be 60 dollars plus i think like alittle more for somethin else but not much really if you think bout it

Shane Hoffman
04/16/2010, 05:26 PM
:hammer:are you LA FISH GUY by any chance???

Lulz......no I am not, although it was the LA fish guy thread in the New to the Hobby section that got me wondering. In one of his videos he is servicing a 500 gallon (RC member) tank that is in our Large reef tank forum at the moment.

agreeive?fish
04/16/2010, 06:38 PM
i pay some one to clean my tank..opps thats in my dream for my huge lottery winnings tank so since i keep picking the wrong loto ticket numbers i clean my own tank..tried to train the wife to do it but shes untrainable by lack of desire to clean my tanks

Canoe1
04/16/2010, 06:40 PM
How about:

"I do it myself because I don't trust anyone else to do it right"

Love it!!!! Haha

jcolletteiii
04/16/2010, 06:42 PM
Why even bother if you don't do it yourself?

dwd5813
04/16/2010, 06:59 PM
when the mood strikes me to look at a tank i had/have nothing to do with setting up or maintaining i either come here or go to the public aquarium. i have one in my home because i enjoy maintaining an environment i pieced together. the sitting back and watching is my reward.

Coral_Craig
04/16/2010, 07:49 PM
I maintain, work, and service, my tank myself.

I think it is nearly a complete waste not to and pay someone else to do.
Part of the joy of reef keeping is learning and studying the science and information of the hobby and putting it to use. As well as the satisfaction one gets at the end of a long, sometimes stressful day of work or reef keeping and knowing that what one looks at is the product of them self.

People that play the “too busy” or “don’t have the time” cards should stick to a simpler hobby. A vast amount of this hobby is the investment of time and if ones not willing to make the commitment one should say away. I say this because we all know you can never predict what can happen to ones tank. So with that, let’s say a pump fails or a crab goes rouge, then what? One calls the service-men at 2:00 AM and he’s going to come in and save the day, unlikely. At the end of the day the only thing one would hurt besides the wallet is the livestock.

Even if one has someone come in to help with certain aspects that one can’t understand or do, this should be fine, but one must have that minimal knowledge and time.

Although there are always exceptions, individuals who are incapable physically, or even mentally, but still want to appreciate all that is a reef tank, then this would seem to be the only way. However having a friend or relative that is experience is a plus, especially for a scenario like above.

100%hydrophylic
04/16/2010, 07:56 PM
we all have god complex and enjoy manipulating the lives of small creatures lol.

i think fun to be in control of the system, and im OCD and i cant let someone mess with my tanks.

Mr. Fish
04/16/2010, 08:51 PM
we all have god complex and enjoy manipulating the lives of small creatures lol.

i think fun to be in control of the system, and im OCD and i cant let someone mess with my tanks.

Very true about the god complex haha. I'm so controlling about my tanks no one else is even aloud to feed them.

prickles
04/16/2010, 11:14 PM
+1 SSlak

IridescentLily
04/17/2010, 12:22 AM
I do it myself. Why would anyone not do it themselves? Unless a person has a bad back or something of that nature and can't lift or bend I think most would rather maintain their own tank themselves.

ludnix
04/17/2010, 01:45 AM
I pay the LFS to service the tank only while on vacation. Although they don't really take care of the corals as well I do, they will replace pumps and keep everything up and running until I get back. It's definitely worth it for vacations.

Typlus5
04/17/2010, 03:47 AM
I deployed for 4 months and had my tank serviced while I was gone. They did a great job but wouldn't ever think of having it done if I'm home. Agree with most, creating/maintaining is just as satisfying as looking. It's why I'm in the hobby...