PDA

View Full Version : Silicates in salt mix

spstimie
04/16/2010, 06:50 PM
I recently got a new job, and the company that has a saltwater testing service. I have been having a few issues, so I brought in a sample. Everything was normal for the most part except silicates. I checked my RO and TDS was 0ppm. I did a water 10% water change last week and added no supplements. Tested again at the end of the week and the silicates had almost doubled. I know there is the list of Cal, Alk & Mag tested salts, but is there something more comprehensive?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

HighlandReefer
04/16/2010, 06:54 PM
If you recently changed your DI resins and the TDS got up above 1 ppt, then a large amount of silicates could have been dumped in your rodi water at one time. The silicates are held loosely with the DI resin and when the DI resin becomes saturated, the silicates will be dumped in rather large quantities in short time.

spstimie
04/16/2010, 08:52 PM
Actually I just installed an RO/DI at the house three months ago because I found out the LFS near my house was selling me water with higher TDS than my tap. It has been 0ppm for three months and my tap is only 100ppm. I added RO and the water change for a week(I didn't even feed). My silicates went from .8mg/L to 1.3mg/L in that week(Ideal is 0.0 to 0.5mg/L). I will know more next week after I add nothing but RO till I test next week.

HighlandReefer
04/17/2010, 08:23 AM
Water changes and diatoms usually export silicates pretty quickly as long as no additional silicates are being added. I would hope your levels should now drop. The data I have seen on many salt mixes finds that silicates are not at high enough levels to cause problems.