PDA

View Full Version : How does this work?

amnesia
04/16/2010, 07:32 PM
There are some pictures posted of an overflow in this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1827014&page=2), post 3.

There doesn't appear to be anything pushing water out of the tank aside from gravity. How does it work?

NanoReefWanabe
04/16/2010, 09:24 PM
if your referring to the pics on page two of the thread then it looks like is an over the back siphon system...at some point the owner would have had to prime the siphon and draw the air out of the tube either by bleeding it out or sucking it out or by by pumping the pipes full of water...after that water is siphoned out of the tank...but to be honest i am not entirely sure cause the pics are at funny angles and i get a headache looking at them...

on a side note there are FAR more efficient ways of getting water out of your tank then what they have posted, and far SAFER too...

captnslapy
04/16/2010, 10:03 PM
looks like a reverse dorso overflow. Almost the same as mine and works very well and totally safe to.

NanoReefWanabe
04/17/2010, 07:45 AM
looks like a reverse dorso overflow. Almost the same as mine and works very well and totally safe to.

other then when it clogs or slows you have no second drain to pick up slack and when it really clogs you have emergency to cover your butt, or should i say floor...and then again air-water drain systems are poopy and generally noisey...either slurpy or bubbling