PDA

View Full Version : AEFW's HELP!!

prickles
04/17/2010, 07:45 PM
So I have them. Thankfully I only have a few small colonies. My understanding of the treatment method is to take the corals out of the tank, dip them in Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure for 20 min while basting/swishing. Put them in QT and repeat in a week. Do this 4 weeks running, and you can put them back in the DT.

Am I understanding this right? I read all the stickies and they are old or full of speculation. I also read about fluke tabs. Which is better?

Help please!

Rogger Castells
04/17/2010, 08:50 PM
I like fluke tabs better, I dissolve 2 tabs in a 1/2 gallon of tank water, keep the corals in this solution for about 15 minutes and then I inspect thoroughly with a magnifying glass all the areas were tissue has resided.
You are looking for the eggs which are not kill by anything, Once I find the egg clusters, I use a metal tooth picker to scrape that area clean of eggs and then I use a baby toothbrush to brush that area good, don't worry about the coral that area is dead and very likely will regrow epidermis again.
I rinse the coral well in tank water and place it back in the tank, coral will looks stress for a couple of days and in a few weeks it will show back its colors and start growing.
It is also important to have a natural method of control in the tank, I have a Hawaiian 4 line wrasse in my tank, they are very good at eating critters including AEFW.
Good luck

prickles
04/17/2010, 08:58 PM
whats another name for hawaiian.

I have heard 4 weeks fallow will get rid of them?

I also have heard they cannot lay eggs on live tissue. Therefore if I cut frags, they will not have eggs on them?

Rogger Castells
04/17/2010, 11:09 PM
whats another name for hawaiian.

I have heard 4 weeks fallow will get rid of them?

I also have heard they cannot lay eggs on live tissue. Therefore if I cut frags, they will not have eggs on them?

its also called the 12 line wrasse

Never tried that

True, thats why you need to concentrate on looking for the eggs on the dead areas.

prickles
04/18/2010, 09:55 AM
thanks for the help Rogger!

Has anyone ever tried the 4 weeks thing? Am I correct on that? Do you dip multiple times or just the once?