PDA

View Full Version : Tang in Nano tank!!! urgent help!!!

Alex_GT
04/18/2010, 01:46 AM
Well i know the title has bring some attention to this post!!! the thing is i have never posted here at RC since i have a nano tank 28G, but i allways come here to read!!! the people of another forum (dedicated to nano tanks and that is why i am posting here i dont think there is a lot of tang owners there) had helped me to cicyle my tank and now my tanks has been running for a month!!! i have a B&W clownfish and the CUC!!! and everything seems to be going great!!

but now the problem, my friends tanks its broken!!! and he has a pretty mid size yellow tang (the only surviver after the accident)!! he call the store and they told him the tanks is going to be fixed in one or two weeks!!!! so the yellow tang end at my tank for now, he does not want to bring the tang to the LFS because he could get ich!!

so today the tang has eat and was swimming around the tank, he does not seems to be bother by the size of the tank, until now i found out that he has changed his color!!! is this normal at night or is he super stressed??? i tested my parameters and everything its ok, my Clownfish looks normal and the CUC is working so i am asuming this is normal but i want to be sure!!!

since my tanks is practicaly new i am thinking in perform 10% water changes everyday because as far as i have read the tangs need a great quality water!!!

i am so stressed i dont want this guy to suffer!!!

hybridazn
04/18/2010, 04:21 AM
yellow tangs will change color during lights out period. usually the middle of the bodies will turn pale white with a black spot. nothing to worry about. hopefully your buddies tank gets fixed soon.

blacklighter11
04/18/2010, 04:45 AM
I also wouldn't worry about it. Especially that there is no other fish that might be stressing him.

michealprater
04/18/2010, 08:46 AM
As long as you are just holding him for a week or two he will be fine in a 28.

inthesea
04/18/2010, 08:51 AM
MOst of the LFS hold tangs in a 15 to 20g for weeks. I think it will be ok for a short time.

Alex_GT
04/18/2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks a lot for the help Guys!!!! today he does not eat his food but he eat without a problem my clowns food, from time to time he swim upside down like he is trying to escape!!! he came from a big 150G so my tank is a big change for him!!! well he is going to be with me only for one or two weeks top so i think he is going to make it!!! thanks a lot for the help!!!

Alex_GT
04/20/2010, 12:11 AM
Just one las update, the store call my friend, saying they are going to fix his tank sooner than we were thinking!!! so its going to be fixed this week!!!!

this is the plan: since the live rock and the sand are in containers with light powerheads and heaters, and we have been doing readings everyday (just one container have ammonia readings) we are going to place everything back to the tank on the next weekend, we are going to add some rocks from another two friends systems!!! i have been reading a lot about some mini cycles when you use cured live rock from other systems!!! after that he is going to make readings for 3 days and if everythings is ok this guy is going back to his home the next week!!!! :)

one last thing after have this guy in my nano tank for a few days, i can say with tangs the bigger is the better!!! they belong to big tanks!!!! he eat, swimng and seems to be happy but from time to time he looks with a lot of deseperation!!! i am so happy he is going to be back at his home before the time i was thinking he is going to be!!!

CorkPullerPHL
04/20/2010, 09:55 AM
Good news. :fish2:

sikk50
04/20/2010, 07:01 PM
My tang used to do that and someone told me it was stray electrical current but I never found any evidence to support that.

Thoughts?

prickles
04/21/2010, 12:08 AM
Just don't dump him in an uncycled tank too soon to get him out of a small tank as quickly as possible. He's better off in the small tank than one with ammonia!

Andrew Henry
04/21/2010, 12:46 AM
Tangs regularly change their color for many different reasons, not necessarily a reason to be alarmed. He should be fine if you're only holding him for a little bit.

Zire
04/21/2010, 01:09 AM
Tangs regularly change their color for many different reasons, not necessarily a reason to be alarmed. He should be fine if you're only holding him for a little bit.

I was vacuuming up some pesky flatworms after having the lights off/coral contracted because they're easier to spot. My yellow tang woke up and he looked sickly, like a terminally ill tang. Freaked me out a little, next day he looked good as ever. So yeah, a little colour changing shouldn't be cause for alarm.

Alex_GT
04/22/2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks a lot for the help!!!! well he looks happy and swiming around!!! he is eating in a regular basis!!! just from time to time he swims from the top to the bottom like he want to scape!! i am sure this is because the size of my nano tank!!

Just don't dump him in an uncycled tank too soon to get him out of a small tank as quickly as possible. He's better off in the small tank than one with ammonia!

yes we are going to be sure the tank does not has ammonia or nitrite before move him back to his home, he have the containers with the light and the sand, and just one of the containers has ammonia readings i am not sure why!! but the others not, we have heaters and light on the to avoid the die off.

we are going to substitute the rocks from the container with ammonia with the rock from another two systems!! i was reading a lot when i was cycle my nano about tanks with short cycles in this way! so that is what we want, but we are not going to avoid the cycle or the readings to rush the things!!!

he survive from the accident so we are going to do our best to keep him alive!!!! i hope he is going to be at home the next week but if it keeps more well we are going to wait!!!!

once again thanks a lot for the help!!!

Alex_GT
05/30/2010, 01:39 PM
Hello people i did not want to let this open (someone could search for tangs in nano tanks and think i am keeping one like that) the yellow tang is now at his home!! he seems to be more than happy!!!!

thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions!!!!

DeepSeaHunter
05/30/2010, 07:44 PM
glad to see the tang is back home and happy. i guess u stressed yourself out for no reason.

ladyshark
05/30/2010, 09:29 PM
Good for you for researching so well and being so concerned! Yay for the tang!