PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank?

Silver_Stang
04/18/2010, 06:02 PM
I was thinking about turning my old system into a QT tank. It is a 29g, that currently has no fish/corals, with about 40lbs of rock (bare bottom) and a CPR backpack skimmer.

I never had a qt tank setup before, what am I missing -- if anything? I am kinda worried about experiencing a cycle when adding fish -- what are your experiences with a QT tank.

badazztealcobra
04/18/2010, 06:12 PM
Get a sponge filter and some chunks of PVC pipe for the fish to hide in....

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

-=Efrain=-
04/18/2010, 07:29 PM
I have read that you shouldn't have live rock or sand in a QT tank but wait for the experts to chime in..

+1 on PVC pipe for the fish to hide in.

Fish_wiz2
04/18/2010, 07:51 PM
Your fine, just dont use the rock. I use sand because of my wrasses but its in a container thats easily removable. I also recommend getting bio-balls and putting it in your DT sump to establish then cycle your QT with them. Wiz ;)

Silver_Stang
04/18/2010, 08:02 PM
I have read that you shouldn't have live rock or sand in a QT tank but wait for the experts to chime in..

+1 on PVC pipe for the fish to hide in.

Anyone on why you wouldn't want LR in the QT tank? I was planning on the LR to be my "filtration method" & a place for fish to hide or I guess I could run bioballs in the bakpak....

I guess i am not sure what I should do

Fish_wiz2
04/18/2010, 08:13 PM
Anyone on why you wouldn't want LR in the QT tank? I was planning on the LR to be my "filtration method" & a place for fish to hide or I guess I could run bioballs in the bakpak....

I guess i am not sure what I should do

Because sometimes when things go wrong in your Qt and you have to dump in some meds, your rock is done and unusable. Plus PVC's are easier to clean and dont absorb meds.

badazztealcobra
04/18/2010, 09:08 PM
Not only that, if you hypo to get rid of ich it'll kill all the bacteria anyway...

No need for it, just use either a sponge filter or a wet dry. Leave the sponge in the main tank until needed, the same as with bio-balls....

indydog1
04/19/2010, 05:38 AM
yep, what ^^^^ said

Dana19620
04/19/2010, 09:09 AM
Not only that, if you hypo to get rid of ich it'll kill all the bacteria anyway...

No need for it, just use either a sponge filter or a wet dry. Leave the sponge in the main tank until needed, the same as with bio-balls....

+1 on the above and using PVC, as well as the "live rock" being ruined if meds or hypo is used. Also meds can leach into the rock which could create problems if another med that is non-compatible with what may be in the rock is added.

Dana19620
04/19/2010, 09:13 AM
Also, during the QT process you usually do have to do more frequent water changes. If you keep a sponge or bio balls in the sump, keep a few. If you have to treat, you do not want to throw the sponge/balls back into the sump because they will carry the ich or whatever parasite into your main tank.

Silver_Stang
04/19/2010, 12:54 PM
Get a sponge filter and some chunks of PVC pipe for the fish to hide in....

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

Great article.... the article and everyone's input has helped a lot. I was definitely going in the wrong direction with this tank if I am going to use it as a QT tank.