PDA

View Full Version : Scolymia recesion

rduong89
04/18/2010, 06:07 PM
What cause scolymias to start receding? Because some of mines started to from the base.

kase
04/18/2010, 06:52 PM
Check parameters and everything is in check i would do an interceptor treatment you might have the aussie bugs.

rduong89
04/18/2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks kase good thing it's in the nano.

suta4242
04/18/2010, 11:45 PM
Never heard of pests affecting S. australis, aside from the odd gall crab.

Check that your alk, Ca & Mg are balance and feed the coral. If its already receding don't put it in an area of high flow. I'd also check phosphate..

good luck!

klepto
04/19/2010, 12:37 AM
...Check that your alk, Ca & Mg are balance and feed the coral. If its already receding don't put it in an area of high flow..

What are you feeding your Scoly's?

What cause scolymias to start receding? Because some of mines started to from the base.
What do you mean by the base? Do you have a photo?

suta4242
04/19/2010, 03:40 AM
I feed according to how healthy it is. If I've bought one thats fat & healthy and shows an immediate feeding response day or night, then its small pieces of fresh scallop or fish flesh. If the coral is very weak, or a rescue etc.. frozen mysis until it gets a bit stronger. I originally fed much bigger pieces of food to the healthy ones but found they sometimes ejected part of the meal several hours later.

HTH.

Reef Bass
04/19/2010, 07:21 AM
Hey Jake!

suta4242, in my opinion, the food ejection you see is normal. I see this with my acans. They only have one "I/O port", so food goes in and several hours later a compacted wad of unusable / indigestable components is expelled. I call it "acan poop".

VitalApparatus
04/19/2010, 09:19 AM
Does everyone spot feed scolymia?

klepto
04/19/2010, 10:36 AM
Hey Ken- where have you been hiding? :wave:

Thanks for the response Suta.

suta4242
04/19/2010, 11:56 AM
suta4242, in my opinion, the food ejection you see is normal. I see this with my acans. They only have one "I/O port", so food goes in and several hours later a compacted wad of unusable / indigestable components is expelled. I call it "acan poop".

I understand what you're saying but don't really think its the case here. More like a lot of the original food is just thrown out because it was probably to large to begin with. Reminds me of Tubastrea sp. - sure they appear to eat largish pieces of food, but hang around for several hours & you'll see them throw this back up. They don't do this when you feed them food more appropriate for the polyp size IME (unless you overfeed a few times in a row). Just my thoughts.:beer:

rduong89
04/19/2010, 05:23 PM
its receding from the base. i don't target feed my scolys that often either. dkh-9 cal 460. The only thing i feed the tank is the coral food mix from H2O and marine snow.

prickles
04/19/2010, 11:34 PM
Don't know if it helps, but mine was receeding so I target fed it "marine cuisine" a few times and it reclaimed its skeleton and is doing well. Could be coincidence...can't hurt.

suta4242
04/20/2010, 01:41 AM
I know a lot of people don't feed them , but after my experience late last year I won't ever slacken off again. Basically I did a series of contaminated water changes. As the corals looked worse I did bigger ones - till I noticed my snails dropping off the glass. Long story cut short: by this stage almost every coral in the tank was bleaching to some extent and some were dead.

I was lazy and hadn't bothered feeding anyone for at least a month or two. Out of 8 scolys: 2 bleached completely, 3 bleached a little, ie they were noticeably less chromatic, 2 bleached badly, 1 bleached partly & receded a lot. The healthiest ones - initially fed nightly for 18 months - bleached the least and regained full colour in +/- 10 days. The completely bleached were newcomers that didn't even show their feeding tentacles at night with food in the water. These have yet to regain their full colour. The badly receded one is still touch and go...

Moral of the story: the extent of damage and speed of recovery was directly proportional to their condition prior to the month from hell. Worse still if I had put in effort immediately with the weaker corals and started feeding immediately, I don't believe they would have reacted as badly to the water conditions. JM2c