PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon drum safe to use?

usfpaul82
04/18/2010, 06:08 PM
I got ahold of a nice 55 gallon drum that I would like to use to store my ato/kaulk water. Problem is that it used to be used to hold chlorine. Can this can be made safe for my ro water? How? Smells like chlorine inside pretty strong.

HighlandReefer
04/19/2010, 05:46 AM
If the 55 gallon drum has only small holes to allow access then the chlorine will take longer to brake down from air exposure. Using a product to remove chlorine from aquarium water (like Amquel) will help. I would triple rinse it first and then use the product to brake the chlorine down. I would test water in it for chlorine after you do this procedure with a chlorine kit. There should be no chlorine odors afterwards.

If you can cut the top of the drum off with a ciruclar saw and save the lid, it will make cleaning it out easier.

usfpaul82
04/19/2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks. This one does noly have 2 small holes with screw on lids in the top. I was thinking about cutting off the lid, but like the idea of being able to have it completely sealed. I rinsed itout a few times yesterday then filled it back up and dumped a bunch of amquel in it. Let it sit for like 6 hours and rinsed it again....still smells like chlorine. :(

HighlandReefer
04/19/2010, 06:48 AM
The chlorine will be on all the surfaces including the bottom of the lid & the vapor will not be able to escape easily with just small holes. I cut my barell just below the top. For our purposes, nothing has to be air tight as far as a lid.