PDA

View Full Version : What chemicals to be proactive against sickness?

helpinsmepls
04/19/2010, 01:19 AM
Hello,

Over the years I've read all about Quarantines and just decided that without actually adding preventative curative medicine to the quarantine that they were of little to no use. If a disease, virus, bacteria, or unwanted microscopic organism can be on something and not show any signs of problem within the quarantine period only to show up months after quarantine is over. Infecting that organism or another in the tank. Why quarantine at all unless you treat everything? Right?

I also found allot of contradictions on allot of forums about reef tanks. For example: You quarantine fish but its ok to put corals in your display without quarantine....

"ok to quarantine fish for ich but just add corals, live rock / sand, and other inverts straight to the tank."??? I personally don't agree with what this is saying. Because LR, inverts, corals can carry ich and just not get infected by it. And I am just using ich as an example. There are many other problems I see with how people quarantine, because of the contradictions.

I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion on why to quarantine. Lets assume someone has decided they want to quarantine and they want to quarantine everything. (This is the only way that would make since to me)

helpinsmepls
04/19/2010, 01:49 AM
So lets get started,

It's April 19th 2010. Everyone lets try to make this thread current, as we all know information from 20 years ago may not be correct.

Let's start this on the basis that someone may just be starting a tank. Maby because this is their first tank, or maby because they have had various problems with their previous tank.

1. Live rock: Ok so a reef needs Live rock, I will add this to my tank. I am thinking to let this rock stay in the tank by itself for at least 8 weeks. Im sure some things can live longer than 8 weeks that would cause a problem down the road. What preventive measures have you all taken to make sure the rock is safe before / after adding to tank? ( Assuming you want rock with Coraline and not dry base rock to start with)

2. Next is Inverts / corals: How to quarantine them? Allow them to be in the tank for 8 weeks then are they ok? Add them straight to the Display tank or quarantine them in a separate tank? Remember no fish are in the display yet. And what to use as meds.... a dip, ok with what? Anything else im missing here please add.

3. Fish: Quarantine, ok. Being proactive, ok. So you have your fish in front of you in a bag. So where to start? I'm thinking acclimate fish to quarantine tank and add it. Lets assume we have the nitrogen cycle complete for the quarantine using any correct method. How long to let fish rest and eat before adding chemicals. (We are assuming the fish has almost every problem you can think of) What chemicals / treatments would you start out with for most fish?

I am thinking make sure they are eating, then maby deworming food with antibotics for the first 2 days in quarantine then add copper treatments? Then carbon to clean out the copper, doing water changes as needed.

Ok then what would you do?

4. Assuming you get everything going ok. Now it's months down the read. Things eventually die naturally. Or you would like to change up a current tank with more inverts corals live rock what would you do then?

Thanks, I know all of this will and should be a lengthy discussion and it has been covered on hundreds if not thousands of other forums / topics and self help boards. But I would like some current answers of what people are doing today.

Thanks