PDA

View Full Version : understanding ICH

Raf1985
04/19/2010, 08:35 AM
So if I were to quarantine all new additions, and put everything through hypo before it goes into DT, would it still be possible to have an ich outbreak? By putting the fish through hypo the parasite dies off completely right? the tank has been established for 3+ years and never had an outbreak.

Chris27
04/19/2010, 08:54 AM
If you remove the fish from the display and hypo those guys also, then no you won't ever have an outbreak....:)

Raf1985
04/19/2010, 09:10 AM
I'm talking about a new tank (3 years ago). all fish up to this point have gone through hypo before entering and never had an outbreak. I'm about to start adding more fish though (snowflake eel).

RBU1
04/19/2010, 09:36 AM
So let me see if I have this right.....Your main tank has been running without anything being added to it for 3 years right? That includes fish, corals, snails and anyting wet...... If that is the case you should be fairly safe in saying your main tank is ich free. I would QT every new addition. Hypo is tricky so make sure you have a refractometer to make sure you are at the proper level. Good Luck

Raf1985
04/19/2010, 10:02 AM
the tank has been running for 3 years with a few fish in it. All the fish in it at the moment went through quarantine and hypo. I want to add a few more fish. I know my main tank is ich free. I just want to eliminate the possibility of getting ich in the tank. I also know how to do hypo and have a refractometer. I was wondering if its possible to completely eliminate the chances of getting ich by performing hypo to all new additions.

RBU1
04/19/2010, 11:16 AM
The answer is yes if you do it correctly.

Raf1985
04/19/2010, 05:27 PM
awesome. I wanted to add a hippo tang or some other sort of tang and kinda wanted to eliminate the whole ich deal, being that those fish are pretty vulnerable to ich. plus i always hear of people getting frequent ich outbreaks with those guys and that sounds like it would suck.

RBU1
04/19/2010, 06:28 PM
If you do it correctly you should not introduce ich to your tank. I always try to get people to use Cupramine. But good luck with the hypo treeatment.

LargeAngels
04/20/2010, 07:00 AM
Only thing about hypo is that it is not affective against velvet. Velvet is much worse than ich. Only thing that is affective against velvet is copper. That is why all my fish go through a Cupramine treatment.

Chris27
04/20/2010, 08:39 AM
Only thing about hypo is that it is not affective against velvet. Velvet is much worse than ich. Only thing that is affective against velvet is copper. That is why all my fish go through a Cupramine treatment.

amen bro - I do the same in an established QT - but in a newly setup one where ammonia can build up in the absense of an established filter I use plain ol copper sulfate...that way I can use Prime or Amquel if necessary.