PDA

View Full Version : SPS coral and manual dosing

zbrook1
04/19/2010, 03:40 PM
I have a 75 gal. tank with a 20 gal.sump. I have been keeping soft corals in it since its inception a few years ago. I manually dose the tank as needed (IE.no calcium reactor etc,etc.) I would like to try to keep a few SPS if possible. My lighting consists of 2 150w HQI an 2 96w actinic and 4 led moon lights. tank parameters are good-alk,cal,etc,etc. Has anybody have good luck with this. I dont mind manual dosing-it helps connect me to my tank.

KJAhp098
04/19/2010, 04:44 PM
Many people have great success with sps and manual dosing. Just be sure to watch your alk, ca, and mag consumption.

EasyEd77
04/19/2010, 04:45 PM
Go buy a few frags and see how they do. Sounds like you have enough light if that's what your worried about. Try a birds nest coral or some sort of monti or chalice. These are more forgiving SPS corals. If you are manually dosing two part for calcium and alk you may want to look into automating it with bulkreefsupply.com two part dosing pump. I don't see anything wrong with doing it manually as long as your levels are staying somewhat constant.

Good Luck

TheWeaz
04/19/2010, 04:52 PM
try a birds nest coral or some sort of monti

+1

jmoney
04/19/2010, 04:53 PM
i have the exact same setup as you, like they said just watch your parameters, and keep them stable you should be fine

zbrook1
04/19/2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks, I was thinking of a frag of monti at first.As of right now I have only been dosing with 2 part bi-onic. Is there anything else I should dose, Marine Snow?,anything for mag?

jmoney
04/20/2010, 12:30 PM
I just starting using reef-resh on my system, but its too early to tell if that helps, but I figured since it helps with my water clarity my 150w would be more effective, I would have done zeovit, but I just couldn't fit the reactor in my sump. If you just want to feed corals I would just stick to things like dts oyster eggs or reef-roids, I only feed a little bit once a week and I have ok growth

Toddrtrex
04/20/2010, 12:50 PM
I have 3 tanks (( 75, 58 and 33 )) and both the 75 and 58 have a heavy load of SPS, and are doing great with manual dosing (( along with dripping Kalk )). Been doing it this way for years now, and isn't all that bad.

I went from this

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/millieplustopdown.jpg

To this, with manually dosing,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Pic6.jpg

zbrook1
04/20/2010, 07:07 PM
Toddrtrex....nice looking pics..if I might ask what are you dosing with? You say you are also dripping kalk..thats what my concern is..I'm not dripping kalk or any other supplements beside B-ionic.

Toddrtrex
04/20/2010, 07:36 PM
Toddrtrex....nice looking pics..if I might ask what are you dosing with? You say you are also dripping kalk..thats what my concern is..I'm not dripping kalk or any other supplements beside B-ionic.

I am using C-balance -- but I don't think there is much of a difference b/t it and B-ionic. As for the Kalk, I use it more as a poor mans auto-top off, and can get lazy about refilling it -- so not sure how much of a factor it is for me.

zbrook1
04/20/2010, 07:52 PM
I was using C-Balance also up to a few weeks ago..LFS changed to B-ionic...told me Two Little Fishes raised the price and he couldn't see passing that on to the little guy,,,so he went with B-ionic-so far no complaints.

zbrook1
04/21/2010, 04:11 PM
Hey Toddrtrex....if you don't mind me asking..how much and how often do you dose..I know it depends on your livestock and how much you have at one time...I'm just looking for some kind of base line to work with

Toddrtrex
04/21/2010, 04:28 PM
Hey Toddrtrex....if you don't mind me asking..how much and how often do you dose..I know it depends on your livestock and how much you have at one time...I'm just looking for some kind of base line to work with

For both my 58 and 75 I use about 100 ML, 5 days a week -- I seem to miss 2 days each week, mainly from being lazy. I dose the tanks right before bed, and don't feel like it some nights.

DivineStler
04/21/2010, 04:47 PM

I dose 10ml b-ionic 2 part manually in my 30GAL everyday and have for some time. My CA is always in the 400 range and Alk is always in the 3-3.5 range (8.5-9.5 dKH). I don't see why you would have any problems.

Other than weekly water changes (4 GAL Tropic Marin mixed at 1.025) and Carbon, I don't do anything else.

Just need to make sure you're consistent and check your levels weekly.

Potsy
04/21/2010, 07:19 PM
If you find that you're using a lot of dosing product, you can make your own for a fraction of the price. I use calcium chloride and soda ash from bulk reef supply to make my own solutions and $30 worth lasts me over a year.

nvdiz
04/21/2010, 07:29 PM
I manually dose b-ionic also. usually 5mls if not a little more. been doing it since october, but my tank had just become sps dominated around january.