PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9002 mods for Solona ?

Jimmy
04/20/2010, 04:51 AM
Quick question for those using a Tunze skimmer in their Solona. How did you mount the skimmer? Did you have to move the magnet from the side so it can be used on the back pane of glass? If so, what is the best way to remove and re-attach the magnet?

Thanks!

Jimmy

inTankLLC
04/20/2010, 11:40 AM
Yes you have to move the magnet to the back

hacksaw blade
dremel tool
razor blade

Jimmy
04/20/2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks for taking time to reply.

I already have your InTank square collection cup, but I was hoping for a easier way to attach it. Hopefully the removal of the magnet goes well...

Thanks!

Jim

lastlight
04/21/2010, 03:38 PM
I have the same collection cup in the mail. I'm wondering if people are moving the magnet simply so they can USE the magnet?

The skimmer fits without the cup with some room to move. With the custom cup will the skimmer physically fit in chamber 1 like it seems to now? I can wedge something on either side of the skimmer to keep it in place if this mod is only to mount it and not done to FIT the skimmer.

I have the exact same magnet set since I mounted both of my osmolator switches to one and didn't use the other. I can always glue this extra magnet to the back of the skimmer and leave the other magnet where it is...

inTankLLC
04/22/2010, 11:03 AM
The purpose of the cup is to fit the skimmer in the chamber at the proper water level. Since the skimmer fits the stock cup will, but you can not get it deeper into the chamber and mount at the proper water level line.

From my understanding the magnet has to be removed to mount correctly

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/StevieTdrill/skimmer%20cup/solana.jpg

lastlight
04/22/2010, 04:06 PM
Oh I see the new cup is not the same profile as the body. I'm sure when it arrives I'll find the cup requires that I shift the skimmer closer towards the chamber 1/2 divider meaning the original magnet has to go.