PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to restart my tank

cholo900rr
04/20/2010, 01:28 PM
I have a old oceanic series 70 tank and sump 75 gallon setup. My question is with the protien skimmer. It is the one that came with it Im sure it is not as good as some of the new ones out there. Is it worth the money to upgrade now or just get started first and later upgrade. for what its worth it seemed to work fine before the protien skimmer is a series 4 skimmer i think.

lordofthereef
04/20/2010, 01:56 PM
This question really depends on whether it is worth it TO YOU or not. Does your budget allow it? It certainly wouldn't hurt. I am not familiar with your skimmer, but the ones that comes with systems don't generally perform amazingly well. Another consideration is what you will be keeping. Some corals like their water pristine while others do quite well if it is not so clean.

cholo900rr
05/04/2010, 11:44 AM
At this moment the budget will be on lighting and modifications. Unfortately my first try was derailed by heat. I was good in the winter and then in summer my tank was over 90F so bye bye fishies. I am investing in a led setup and i need to reconfigure my stand and tank for projection lighting. from far overhead, instead of right on top of it.

jenjen
05/04/2010, 09:26 PM
What corals/fish do you plan to keep?

cholo900rr
05/05/2010, 05:49 PM
Probably some clowns. Ive been checking those ricordias out the pics look sweet. Honestly im gonna take it slow tho. Just because I need experience don't want to get in over my head.

jenjen
05/05/2010, 09:57 PM
If you're planning clowns and some softies the skimmer you have is likely fine. Once you get a more aggressive fish load, or want to start trying LPS you will likely want to look at upgrading.