PDA

View Full Version : want to ditch HOB filter and set up sump....need help

JennaH
04/21/2010, 04:24 AM
i'm going to have a bit of a tax return coming soon and im really interested in setting up a sump for my 12 gallon instead of the HOB filter i have now. The tank isn't drilled so it will have to be an overflow box and i have an extra 10 gallon i can use for a sump.

any suggestions on what would be good equipment choices (box/pump/return lines) will help tremendously! personal experience from people using overflow boxes too. thanks guys! as always you rock

sjm817
04/21/2010, 05:29 AM
Is this tank glass or acrylic?

75gsalt
04/21/2010, 06:22 AM
What will be the distance from the top of your tank to the bottom of your sump.

jeepguy242
04/21/2010, 06:26 AM
for a 12 gallon tank it hardly seems worth the trouble of using a sump, i understand that it does add more water volume, but you need a pump that can push the water from under the tank, and a maxijet wont cut it, at 4 foot it shuts off, so a more expensive pump is needed, then you got the whole splitting up the 10 with a skimmer/fuge/return section, and your return section will be small, so you will have to top up constantly unless you want to run your pump dry, then there is the whole when the return pump shuts off the sump could overflow factor (like in the case of a power failure), imho- youd be better off saving your money and getting a bigger tank/stand that would allow you a bigger sump, 55's are cheap and you could fit a 20 gallon under it, would be alot less work.

not blasting your idea, just trying to help... it can be done!

JennaH
04/21/2010, 02:05 PM
tank is glass (rimless) and it's only 34" from top of tank to bottom of sump

i mainly want this sump to add some water volume and hide equipment. if the 10 gallon absolutely won't work i can fit a 15 under the stand... the 12 gallon/stand is 3' long

tank dimensions are roughly 36" x 8.5" x 9.5"

tkeracer619
04/21/2010, 02:45 PM
Do you know if the tank is tempered? What size glass is it made of 1/8"?

I would recommend drilling the tank if possible. An overflow box is going to take up a good amount of room.

A maxijet is not suitable for a return pump. You would want to get a small mag drive or ehiem.

E.intheC
04/21/2010, 03:36 PM
I agree with the above, however "Maxi Jet" is too widely used. A Maxi Jet 1200 or 900/etc is not suitable, but the MJ Utility pumps, shown in the link below, are great. :)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Aquarium_Systems_Premium_Maxi_Jet_Utility_Pump_Up_to_500_Gallons_Per_Hour_Submersible_Water_Pumps-Instant_Ocean-AS1311-FIWPSBUF-vi.html

I use the 3000 on my tank, but believe the 1800 would be just fine as well.

dixiedog
04/21/2010, 06:27 PM
Go for it!

Based on what you've said, I'd humbly suggest an Eshopps overflow box, with a Rio 1000 for your return pump.

I can tell you that the 1000 pushes 96 GPH at a head height of 39" (I clocked it myself), which I find sufficient in the 11-over-10 gallon I just built. It uses only 13 watts (very important in keeping these small systems cool). The Danner mag drive pumps cost a lot more and use a lot more wattage.

WI reefer55
04/21/2010, 06:29 PM
for a 12 gallon tank it hardly seems worth the trouble of using a sump, i understand that it does add more water volume, but you need a pump that can push the water from under the tank, and a maxijet wont cut it, at 4 foot it shuts off, so a more expensive pump is needed, then you got the whole splitting up the 10 with a skimmer/fuge/return section, and your return section will be small, so you will have to top up constantly unless you want to run your pump dry, then there is the whole when the return pump shuts off the sump could overflow factor (like in the case of a power failure), imho- youd be better off saving your money and getting a bigger tank/stand that would allow you a bigger sump, 55's are cheap and you could fit a 20 gallon under it, would be alot less work.

not blasting your idea, just trying to help... it can be done!

My maxi 1200 is about 4 feet of head and I am getting 150GPH:dance:

JennaH
04/22/2010, 01:28 AM
ok, so if i get the eshopps overflow, will the 300 be good? or should i get the 800? is the only difference the length? if so i might be better off with the 800. what should i use as a return line/output nozzle?

i also came across this with the return built in http://www.marinedepot.com/Tom_Aquatics_Pro_Series_Surface_Skimmer_Overflow_Box_with_Aqua_Lifter_External_Overflow_Boxes_for_Aq uariums-Tom_s_Aquatics-OE1318-FIOFEB-vi.html worth it?

sjm817
04/22/2010, 05:26 AM
I would get a Lifereef Nano overflow for that setup.

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

scsuboy18
04/22/2010, 08:02 AM
I know Glass-Holes.com sells overflow kits for nano's...though I just looked on their website and looks like they aren't shipping orders until the 27th of this month. Perhaps they got audited?

Of course if it's tempered then you will need a HOB overflow.

JennaH
04/22/2010, 12:16 PM
well i called mr. aqua and the bottom of the tank is tempered... would you still drill the back for the return lines? and if i used the reeflife nano box, should i get the maxi-jet 1800? (474 GPH @ 0 ft)

tkeracer619
04/22/2010, 04:13 PM
Eshopp overflows are junk.

If you have to get an overflow get a life reef like smj recommended.

You can drill the back for a drain as well. I personally would do the returns over the side on that tank.

JennaH
04/22/2010, 11:25 PM
ok, so far i have life reef nano box, ameka aquatics small return jet http://amekaaquatics.com/productinfo.html?product_id=631 and either a magdrive 2 or quietone 800. are these good pump choices? will they be enough flow you think? i have a koralia nano on one end and a koralia 1 on the other end right now with the HOB filter in the middle and the flow throughout the whole tank seems perfect...

Navyblue
04/22/2010, 11:50 PM
If I were you I'd settle with a HOB refugium grow some chaeto, a good HOB skimmer, and ditch the HOB filter. And if I want more volume I'd get a larger tank and keep everything else the same. No flood and plumbing hassle to worry about. If you get the premium stuffs they can look quite sleek. I even contemplated doing that with my 120G. The only reason that I didn't end up doing that is I wasn't comfortable ditching my tried and true H&S 150 for a Deltec MCE600.

sjm817
04/23/2010, 05:03 AM
It it were mine, I would drill the back and use a www.Glass-Holes.com nano overflow, but if you dont wat to drill, the Lifereef Nano.

psychostieg
04/24/2010, 11:44 AM
I think I would just put a smaller fluval cannister filter on it..... Cannister filters actually perform wonders on nano tanks..... They give a little bit of added water volume, help cool the tank if you're aggressive with lighting, and keep the water crystal clear... It's what I've always done with my nanos 20 gal and under..... Just an idea