PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed New Corals Sick Am = .2

travis32
04/21/2010, 06:47 PM
O.k. This morning I noticed my new favia brain coral half covered in brown slime. I didn't have time to deal with it due to things like earning a pay check and life. ;(

I got home tonight and the favia is engulfed in a brown slime. A friend said to spray it with turkey baster to get the slime off. I did that, but, it's completely bleached white once the slime was gone. The center was still green somewhat. But the outter shell is all completely white.

Then I noticed my candy cane had 2 heads completely bleached white. I sprayed it with a turkey baster and got some of the "junk" out off of it.

However, not all the candy cane is bleached white yet. So do I leave it? What do I do with the favia? Leave it in the tank? Throw it in the garbage? Etc.

I tested my parameters: SG: 1.027 with refrac, trites: 0 trates: 0 Ammonia:
Detected at .2. with API test kits.

So, I changed out my filter pad, did a 9 - or so gallon emergency water change, and I'm not sure what to do next.

My wounded betta looked half dead, laying against a rock (which he usually does, but, this time was somewhat sideways.) The blenny and grama look perfectly fine. not breathing heavy and not stressed. (except for the stressful water change. LOL.)

After the water change the wounded Betta seemed to perk up, he started moving around and trying to eat stuff out of the water column.

So, do I withhold feeding now to allow the bio filtration to catch up with whatever is wrong? The only cause of the ammonia I can think of is 1 of three things:

1. Moving my rock around significantly on Sunday. Trying to catch a fish.

2. The corals were dieing at the time I put them in my tank and their die off caused the filtration to not be able to keep up.

3. I overfed mysis without realizing it.

I'll retest ammonia tomorrow. The water looks a lot clearer and the tank does look healthier with the water change. But, not sure what's causing the ammonia without any trates or trites to speak of.

This weekend should put my tank at 3 months old. and I only have 3 fish in there and The betta was the most recent addition with 3 weeks between my last and current fish stocking.

My Acan, regular brain coral, frogspan, mushrooms, star polyps, hair mushrooms, xenia, crown leather, etc, etc. All the corals I had before the new corals appear o.k. so far. Frog spawn is still extending, acans are still puffing up, and the brain coral is still puffy. And fish appear o.k. for now.

At what point do I consider dosing Amquel to give me more time to figure things out? (I don't have any so need to know if I should pick up some).

my SG after the water change is 1.026. I want to do the best care I can for the fish and corals, so any other suggestions would be very much welcomed! And I need to know if I should remove the bleached favia or just let it be now?