PDA

View Full Version : when feeding, some food gets sucked into overflow

timdam
04/21/2010, 09:39 PM
when feeding, i have noticed some food gets sucked into overflow. then it just sits in the overflow and builds up at the bottom. is this a common problem? should i just try to siphon it out with every water change? any other solutions?

Tuscaquatics
04/21/2010, 09:47 PM
Some people turn off their return pump and whatnot when they feed. I personally don't. But then I've never had the food collecting in the overflow. But, overall, I wouldn't worry too much. You can turn off the return, or do like you said and siphon it out later.

Or, if you have a tiny PH sitting around, stick it down in there to stir stuff up, if only once in a while to clean it out. Or how 'bout sticking a turkey baster down there and blowing it around?

nmbr6
04/21/2010, 09:54 PM
The best way is to turn off your return pumps if you'e having the food get sucked away. Allows less waste in the system because you're not over feeding to compensate.

KMUNCC
04/21/2010, 10:04 PM
Make sure to get it under the water when feeding and helps to put it in front off the returns to push it down in the tank.

timdam
04/22/2010, 06:16 AM
i mean, it's not like i overfeed. but when u throw something light as mysis shrimp in there, some of it just floats into the overflow.

should i worry about this excess food sitting in the overflow as far as water quality?

Chris27
04/22/2010, 07:30 AM
If enough of it accumulates, it can lead to problems in a relatively short amount of time, if you can, shut down the pumps for a few min while feeding, the fish get more, and your tank stays much cleaner.

Fizz71
04/22/2010, 07:42 AM
Make sure to get it under the water when feeding and helps to put it in front off the returns to push it down in the tank.

+1 on the under the water comment. When I feed flake I always push it below the surface before I let it go.

floydie83
04/22/2010, 08:17 AM
+1 on the under the water comment. When I feed flake I always push it below the surface before I let it go.

+2 I never turn the pumps off, but i push the food under the water usually far from the overflow.

KafudaFish
04/22/2010, 08:21 AM
You could always place some mesh on it while you feed and remove it when finished. If you forget the mesh could still be large enough for the overflow to handle the return pump's flow.

Fizz71
04/22/2010, 10:57 AM
I also know people who use these:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/feedingfis1/a/feedingrings.htm

..mainly with automated feeders which I don't currently have, otherwise I probably would have a ring like that.

travis32
04/22/2010, 11:58 AM
I leave all my pumps running when I feed, food gets sucked into my overflow, into my siphon, through my sump, and back through the return pump. It's funny because my grama sits by the return hose waiting for the wonderful shrimp hose to feed her.

If an air bubble comes out of the air hose, she'll chase it down thinking it's shrimp. I wonder why you'd have food collecting there though? Should be enough water flow that it would get sucked in by the siphon.

I have a very small overflow box though. I measured it to find a snail guard or cover for it. It's 5" X 3", with a 3/4" opening on the siphon J tube.

lordofthereef
04/22/2010, 12:22 PM
The best options IMO are either using a filter sock or turning your return off for a while during feeding time. Filter socks tend to need a daily to every other day cleaning/replacement, so it shouldn't effect your trates/trites too much.

timdam
04/22/2010, 12:43 PM
filter socks go in the sump, right? but my excess food never makes it there. it sits at the bottom of the overflow.

Indymann99
04/22/2010, 06:45 PM
I have a feeding port. works perfect, the food absorbs enough water and sinks with no waste into the overflow. Feeding rings are similar.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/Feedingporttop.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/Feedingport.jpg

75gsalt
04/22/2010, 09:25 PM
That feeding port is pretty cool never seen one before. I had the same concerns as you. So I just started shutting everything down. I feed half a cube of mysis shrimp every three days. I't only takes about 30 seconds for my 3 fish to eat everything then I turn everything back on.

goochesfish
04/22/2010, 10:38 PM
I use a turkey baster to shoot the food down to the bottom. The foods never has time to make it back up to the overflow before the fish get to it.