PDA

View Full Version : Low flow sps?

Monster00101
04/21/2010, 10:46 PM
Is there any sps that does well in low flow?

Monster00101
04/22/2010, 07:20 PM
Nohing?

Reefer577
04/22/2010, 08:23 PM
Superman monti and other encrusting corals probably wouldn't mind much. Branching corals will be very thin and stretched out under low flow so I would go that way. Maybe thick branching acros like humilis? I haven't had low flow in ages, so just guessing at this point.

klepto
04/22/2010, 11:21 PM
Seriatopora guttatus does pretty well in lower flow. Aside from that I struggle to think of SPS that do 'well' in low flow. Other species of Seriatopora will do okay in lower flow, but as they grow in they will need more flow to keep the colony healthy.

You may be best off just sticking with LPS and softies for low flow. You could keep some SPS, sure, but I wouldn't count on stocking much in the way of Acropora. :(

Branching corals will be very thin and stretched out under low flow so I would go that way. Maybe thick branching acros like humilis?

I haven't heard of any A. humilis that grow well in low flow. But that's just me. I agree that few branching corals will really thrive under low flow. I'm guessing that you meant that you would not go the branching coral route.

I'm not trying to condescend... just sharing my thoughts. :)

Reefer577
04/22/2010, 11:41 PM
Yeah typo. lol

Monster00101
04/23/2010, 03:11 PM
thanks for the help. how much flow is high? infront of a power head or just to the side?

klepto
04/23/2010, 06:17 PM
thanks for the help. how much flow is high? infront of a power head or just to the side?

This is very hard to quantify.. Every one is going to have a different understanding of high/med/low flow. Powerheads vary widely too.

Most acropora prefer strong flow. If it is too direct and not intermittent, then often times the tissue of the coral will be blasted off. Many of the wild SPS colonies I have seen thrive with direct flow. You don't necessarily want SPS right in front of the powerhead, but if you place your hand inbetween the coral and the powerhead, you should feel a substantial amount of water movement.