PDA

View Full Version : ID: Individual Zooanthid Polyps emerging?

Kates
04/21/2010, 11:20 PM
Hi I do have to say first this forum is AMAZING and I am so thankful to all the knowledgeable people who reply to these questions and enlighten us.
So, does anyone have an idea of what these could be? Pics are of tiny individual brownish polyps, there were originally three on this apparently lifeless piece of "live rock" from my LFS, along with five or six more brownish-reddish spots on the rock that looked like little blobs of gum stuck under the table, for lack of a better description. Now one of those spots has turned into the fourth little polyp, who has just opened within the last couple of days. See the second pic.

These guys are not aiptasia as I have quite the population of aiptasia I am eradicating and I am very familiar with what they look like:) These guys in question have remained the size of a baby's fingernail -very tiny. They do open or close in response to touch. The last pic has one of my red legger hermits in the foreground so you can see how small they appear on the piece of rock. I believe they are zooanthids but don't see to be closely associated to one another. so I dunno:)! Thank you so much!

vaporlockv2
04/21/2010, 11:27 PM
Those look really small and young. I had some nuclear paly's that were that color before they started to turn green. So you MIGHT not be able to tell yet. Some of the more experienced guys might be able to id it for you.

aykim2188
04/21/2010, 11:38 PM
Are you sure thats not a type of aiptasia -_-?

vaporlockv2
04/21/2010, 11:43 PM
I'm 100% sure it isn't an aptasia. But it might be a mojano, but I highly doubt it.

Tuscaquatics
04/22/2010, 03:53 AM
Those are probably just some palys. They're pretty easy to multiply and you'll often find them on live rock and stuff. My first coral was a button polyp like this that popped out of a piece of live rock. Take good care of them and they will turn into a huge colony.

SaltydawgI
04/22/2010, 03:57 AM
Looks like it may be BBP (Brown Button Palys)? Here is a pic of mine.

109755 109756

romsoccer12
04/22/2010, 05:23 AM
+1 on brown or green button polyps.
they are very hardy and grow like mad, but otherwise they are good to have. they can grow a little to fast sometimes

cveverly
04/22/2010, 07:57 AM
Looks like brown polyps to me. I would isolate that rock on its own island or you will have them everywhere. In my opinion they are kind of a weed.

Tilmo2180
04/22/2010, 09:15 AM
+ they are a weed. I would isolate them as well, and then watch them grow :)

Certainly not aptaisia IMO, which is good. In an old tank i set up i got my rocks all in there and a week later i started to see little green star thingies coming out of one of my rocks. It was totally bare before, so i was crazy confused. It turned out to be my first coral and within a month i went from a bare rock to a 2x2 patch of neon green GSP. So, not all hitch hikers are bad.

Kates
04/28/2010, 05:35 PM
Hey guys thanks so much for all the great answers!

Larah
04/28/2010, 05:44 PM
Definitely NOT aptasia or Mojanos. Brown palythoas...

thebkramer
04/28/2010, 06:12 PM
Yes!!! Isolate them or you will end up with this:
http://i40.*******.com/2iu91f.jpg
unless of course you would like that :)

BeanMachine
04/28/2010, 06:36 PM
Yes!!! Isolate them or you will end up with this:
http://i40.*******.com/2iu91f.jpg
unless of course you would like that :)

Dude is that a skull in your tank? Looks sick with all the coraline!

thebkramer
04/28/2010, 06:51 PM
Dude is that a skull in your tank? Looks sick with all the coraline!

skull and castles :) thanks!