PDA

View Full Version : Mounted or Unmounted SPS frag

Niger12
04/22/2010, 05:03 AM
Getting ready to place an order for a ton of frags for my nano. I see many people just attach the small reef plugs right to the rocks and some just use epoxy to attach the frag itself. What is your preference and why.

Thanks

skibum9884
04/22/2010, 07:37 AM
I personally prefer unmounted as they will then grow to cover the rock without the weird "bulge" of the plug.

What do others think?

mcoomer
04/22/2010, 07:37 AM
If a coral has already encrusted the plug I mount it plug and all. If I can I pull the rock out and use a dremel or chisel to create a hole to hide the plug a bit but if I can't do that I simply hide the plug as best as I can. A big round frag plug just doesn't look right in the tank. When I mount frags to a plus I use epoxy to build a dome on top of the plug and then gel glue to mount the frag to the epoxy. When it comes time to move the frag from the rack to a rock I simply cut the epoxy away from the plug and I'm ready to roll.

Mike

timdam
04/22/2010, 08:40 AM
quick question about mounting since we're talking about it. when do people EPOXY their corals? i mean, some people keep moving it around to find where their coral will do best. so wouldn't epoxying them right when u get them be a little premature?

Jason S
04/22/2010, 09:41 AM
It depends for me. If it is a fresh cut frag, I would prefer it unmounted, so I can mount it on a piece of rubble. looks more natural to me. If it is not, I will chip away at the plug itself to break up the shape, but be very careful doing this so that you do not damage the coral.

As far as Epoxying, It depends as well. I keep them on a frag rack for the first couple of weeks to ensure they are doing well, and then put them on the rock in about the spot that I want them. I will put a small dot of superglue to keep the current and critters from knocking them over. With just a drop, it is easy enough to move it if you have to. If all is still well, I may epoxy it later, but I do nto like to move my frags around too much.

qfrisco
04/22/2010, 10:45 AM
I will always break the frag off the plug with a pair of needlenose pliers. If the frag isn't well encrusted on the plug, it usually breaks off cleanly. If it has encrusted over the plug, I break it off as close as possible to the plug then just throw the plug on my frag rack and let it grow out.

I then superglue the frag onto a piece of rubble rock. I then mount the rubble to my scape with a combination of aquamend epoxy and superglue. This has worked very well for me in the past, and I don't get the unnatural look of frag plugs attached to LR.

Amoore311
04/22/2010, 11:13 AM
I do the same.

I break it off the plug if it isn't encrusted on their.

If it is encrusted I'll take a dremel and cut the "stem" off the plug and do it that way.

Constantne
04/22/2010, 11:17 AM
I usually break the stem off and mount the plug. I have mounted SPS directly to my live rock but if they need to be dipped for any reason (AEFW or other pests) then I lose all that growth.

crvz
04/22/2010, 12:23 PM
I like to remove them from the plugs, but I'll often attach them to smaller rocks. With these smaller rocks, I'll drill holes in them and attach a couple inches of hard airline tubing with which to "peg" these smaller rocks throughout the aquascaping. This way I'm able to move corals around a bit without greatly disturbing the tank or corals.

lordofthereef
04/22/2010, 01:05 PM
I tend to leave it on a plug until I am sure the coral is "happy" where I put it. Sometimes the perfect place in my eyes is not so for the frag! Once that has been established and I see nice extension I will usually pull the plug. :lolspin: As has been said though, if it is heavily encrusted onto the plug I would just leave it be.

wakeboardgeek
04/22/2010, 02:19 PM
+1 for mounting it on rubble...at least that's what i prefer bc i don't like seeing the plugs.

superglue between rubble and epoxy, then superglue between epoxy and rockwork works well for me.

Fizz71
04/22/2010, 02:40 PM
+1 on mounting on rubble, unless I know I have a perfect spot. I usually break them off the plug; if they are encrusted on it I get as much as I can off of it. If I know (based on the type of coral) that the plug will eventually be covered and not show a bulge I'll leave it some times.

And I use superglue gel for anything smaller than my finger.

Niger12
04/22/2010, 09:24 PM
I made some frags today with aragonite and super glue. Looks pretty good and should not leave a bulge. Mounted a German Blue Monti to one today. It should engulf the plug soon or coraline will start to cover it.