PDA

View Full Version : "Just Live Rock"

Rustics
04/22/2010, 06:59 AM
Has anyone used the online company called "Just Live Rock"? also wondering how much rock I'll need for a 60 gallon cube. thanks!!

Hoyden
04/22/2010, 09:09 AM
In January I bought a 75 lb box of "premium" dry rock from these guys. They shipped it all in one box unpadded (read: breakage) and I actually thought the rock that I received was junk because it was all solid. It bore no resemblance to the picture on their website. I had a friend look at it and he said that all it needed was a good pressurewash. After 2+ hours with a 1400 psi pressurewasher, I was probably down to 50lbs (maybe even less after the next round of cleaning) of rock and it is still not all clean. While it was indeed less expensive ($148.50 delivered = $1.98/lb) than the 50lb box of dry key largo base rock I bought from Marcorocks.com ( $125.98 delivered = $2.52/lb), the Marcorocks rock is ready to go, clean, etc and was packed with each rock carefully wrapped in bubble wrap plus a little extra weight to compensate for any breakage.

I have included a couple of pics of the rock I received from Justliverocks - you compare to pictures on their website and decide for yourself. The second shot is after pressurewashing.

Jason S
04/22/2010, 09:34 AM
If you are going with dry rock, marco is the way to go. I do not have any pictures of the rock I just got for my Biocube 29, but it stacks great, was clean, and very well packed. It looks great to be as white as it is for the time being, but once I get some life on it, I have no doubt it will look as good, or better than most "Live rock".

I am VERY impressed, and I will go with them again.

Radioheadx14
04/22/2010, 09:57 AM
I would also look into bulk reef supplys dryrock. I fond the shapes and quality to be quite good for the price.

dun2run
04/22/2010, 10:23 AM
Definitely go with marco. Ive got a pretty long rant on here somewhere telling about my experience with justiverock. Basicly, I paid for mine and never recieved it, after weeks of playing email tag I demanded a refund. Went with marco key largo rock and never looked back. Cant see me buying from anywhere else. Also, got a few pounds of the BRS dry rock to fill in a few gaps in my 125 gallon and really had a lot of trash in it. My nitrates went sky high. You wont regret going with Marco.

timdam
04/22/2010, 11:26 AM
i ordered from marcorocks in the morning, and about an hour later, it had already shipped out. i was impressed.

dwd5813
04/22/2010, 11:29 AM
people seem to be impressed with marcorocks, and from what i've seen it looks to be a lot like the ecorox i got from brs, which i am quite pleased with.

Rustics
04/22/2010, 11:42 AM
WOW i guess that make my decision easy. thanks for all the help! i just to figure out how much to buy.

timdam
04/23/2010, 07:50 AM
i ordered the fiji dry rock from marco. i ordered too much b/c the rocks are so pourous, that u really don't need that much. 40 lbs of his pourous rocks takes up like what a normal 80lbs of rock would take.