PDA

View Full Version : Turbinara Peltata with 'bubble' growths?

daudelus
04/22/2010, 10:50 AM
Can someone please tell me what these growths are on my Turbinara? They have recently appeared within the last 2 weeks. I've included an image of the coral. The polyps are usually extended throughout the day, but in the image, I had just blown some debri out of the 'cup' so they are retracted. I've had the coral for about 2 months and it has remained on the sand bed, because I just can't get it to attach with putty. It hasn't suffered damage and it has retained its color so far. I vodka dose and nitrates are on the decline at around 1o, calcium at 420, and ph at 8.1. Any help will be appreciated.

GoingPostal
04/22/2010, 02:51 PM
Not sure what causes them but it's bubbles, IME they pop and the flesh will grow back over it, might be caused by buildup in the cup but I don't know for sure. I have one that did that quite a bit out of the blue, never did figure out for sure what the issue was. It receded badly after a tank move, still alive but it hasn't bubbled up like that anymore.

daudelus
04/22/2010, 04:32 PM
I've tried to be on top of blowing the detritus and sand out of the cup area, and some of the bubbles are in a spot where nothing collects. It's good to hear that yours didn't appear to deteriorte after they burst, so it seems this could be a survivorable thing!

Azurel
04/23/2010, 09:14 AM
What is your alk at? I had a Favia do that when my alk woould get to the low end....Once it was brought back up it stopped....That is a nice looking Cup....

daudelus
04/23/2010, 09:23 AM
I will need to do another alk reading... last time it was checked, it was within range, which was 2 weeks ago.

woofu
04/24/2010, 05:15 PM
try more flow .. my do that if in low flow, imo

daudelus
04/25/2010, 07:12 AM
I can try, but at the moment, I've got a pretty turbulent flow in a 55g of 2 korallia 3 and 1 korallia 1. I'm hoping to actually get it placed slightly higher in the rock work if I can just get it to stay where I put it.

angel-luver!!
04/25/2010, 07:16 AM
im not sure what causes it, but have seen this occasionally with my fungia's. It usually co-incides with my algaes producing lots of fine bubbles when the tank gets sun light, or when the halides have been on for a while. the bubbles disappear though fairly quickly. ive never tried popping them though.