PDA

View Full Version : Instant Ocean Salt vs Reef Crystals

thebkramer
04/22/2010, 12:48 PM
For the past 2 yrs I have been using Instant Ocean Salt. I've recently read that it would be better to use the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.
Would it actually be more beneficial? Or is it just a scheme for you to spend more on this product?
Just to let you know, I don't use any additives, but I do have Calcium and Kents Coral Builder as a just in case back up. My calcium usually stays in the 400-450 range. It drops to 350 sometimes, which I blame on my Red Chili Cactus when he decides to stay open for days (and nights) at a time.
So..would switching to the Reef Crystals be beneficial?
Thanks for advice :)

Edit: When calcium does drop, so does my hardness to the 5 or 6 range

Ding2daDong
04/22/2010, 12:54 PM
I don't think it will be beneficial. There are many other factors other then quality of salt that play a roll in your aquariums health.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

hth

-Matthew

jason2459
04/22/2010, 12:55 PM
Do you have an ATO and if so have you though about adding in kalk to help maintain your levels? It would help with the calcium and the alk levels to stay consistant. I really like that there are no organics in regular IO over Reef Crystals. It was making my skimmer go crazy after every water change. Though that is a rare thing as I found out.

thebkramer
04/22/2010, 01:01 PM
No ATO. I do 1gl slow drip every other day., with 10% weekly WC

Thanks for the feedback. My gut told me to just stick with
the regular IO, but, sometimes my gut is wrong. lol
I figured the reef crystals were to good to be true kinda thing, but
its always better to get others thoughts than to just go with your own.

jason2459
04/22/2010, 01:07 PM
No ATO. I do 1gl slow drip every other day., with 10% weekly WC

Thanks for the feedback. My gut told me to just stick with
the regular IO, but, sometimes my gut is wrong. lol
I figured the reef crystals were to good to be true kinda thing, but
its always better to get others thoughts than to just go with your own.

Reef Crystals was fine until I got my new skimmer and was very sensitive about it. It kept my calcium/alk/mag pretty high. They're still pretty high even after about a month since switching over to straight IO.

You could easily put in a tablespoon of kalk to start out with into your gallon top off and see how that helps. Then increase it to two tablespoons if you're still get some drops in calc and alk. IF you need more you could also add in some vinegar and add even more kalk to the mix.

I'm still good with my levels but I've been watching them as I know eventually they'll get lower and I plan on adding Ms. Wages Pickling lime into my ATO.

mcoomer
04/22/2010, 01:33 PM
I use Reef Crystals and that works for me. To give you some more info to chew on, click here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505) and here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287118). That second link is a monstrous thread on salt mixes and testing. The threads appear to support statements that Reef Crystals support higher calc, alk, and mg levels out of the bucket. But, if your tank is healthy and thriving I don't think I change salts. I'd look more towards supplements to make up for any shortcomings in your water parameters.

Mike

thebkramer
04/22/2010, 01:53 PM
Holy shish-ka-bobs!! That is a monster of a monster thread mcoomer!!! Thanks!
I'll let ya know about 1000hrs from now what I come up with :lmao:!!!

Thanks Jason for feedback. I've always been scared to use kalk.
I think I'm gonna do a bit (alot) more research on it !!

jason2459
04/22/2010, 02:03 PM
Holy shish-ka-bobs!! That is a monster of a monster thread mcoomer!!! Thanks!
I'll let ya know about 1000hrs from now what I come up with :lmao:!!!

Thanks Jason for feedback. I've always been scared to use kalk.
I think I'm gonna do a bit (alot) more research on it !!

Here's a good place to start

What Your Grandmother Never
Told You About Lime
Randy Holmes-Farley
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

thebkramer
04/22/2010, 02:22 PM
Great! Thanks for the link Jason!

BTW...how are my mandarins?? LOL

jason2459
04/22/2010, 02:37 PM
Great! Thanks for the link Jason!

BTW...how are my mandarins?? LOL

They are as lovely as ever! :love2:

thebkramer
04/22/2010, 02:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand...
You should not use kalk if you do not have RO/DI water?
I don't have that unit. I use dechlorinated water (fill 12 1g jugs up and let sit for 5 days before using them). I've been doing it this way for over 1yr now.
Eventually I would love to get a RO/DI unit, along with a sump and fuge. But things are a little tight, so that will have to wait for now.
So would using kalk be yet another tank suicide for me? (tank crashed 7 mos ago)

lordofthereef
04/22/2010, 02:55 PM
RC has a higher calcium and mag concentration than IO. As has been said, if your tank is thriving, there probably isn't much to worry about.

jason2459
04/22/2010, 03:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand...
You should not use kalk if you do not have RO/DI water?
I don't have that unit. I use dechlorinated water (fill 12 1g jugs up and let sit for 5 days before using them). I've been doing it this way for over 1yr now.
Eventually I would love to get a RO/DI unit, along with a sump and fuge. But things are a little tight, so that will have to wait for now.
So would using kalk be yet another tank suicide for me? (tank crashed 7 mos ago)

Hmm, from my understanding it would be beneficial to use the limewater do to it being self purifying. So, basically it would precipitate out many of the stuff you don't want. Then put the remaining clear saturated lime in your dosing jug and do the slow drip. I'm not the expert on this but that's my understanding.