PDA

View Full Version : 2 simple questions. live rock/foods

Blakeup295
04/22/2010, 11:12 PM
ok so ive had my reef tank for about 2 years and ive always fed all my fish brine shrimp and nothing els just started considering feeding them flakes and pellets also whats your opinion on what foods are best for them and best for the tank?

and a real simple question is it true the more liverock you have the more filtration you have?

Blakeup295
04/22/2010, 11:18 PM
lets make it three questions, can i grow Cheato even though the only place i could grow it the water gose into my skimmer right after my liverock section, and would pods die going through my skimmer section?

capnfritz
04/23/2010, 07:12 AM
1. I like a mix, some flake, pellets and cyclops.
Then alternate with frozen mysis and reef formula.
Brine and live as an occasional treat.
2. Well yeah, within reason off course. Dont use up all
the free swimming space.
3. You can grow chaeto wherever theres enough light,
just make sure it doesnt get into the intakes.
4. Whenever pods go through a pump youll loose some pods but not all.

Blakeup295
04/23/2010, 12:55 PM
yeah i made a big section in my sump for all liverock prob as big as a 20 gallon tank thats going to have as much liverock as i can fit and maybe some chaeto

Shane Hoffman
04/23/2010, 02:30 PM
If you have 130 lbs of rock or close to that in your DT I would avoid putting rock rubble in your sump. I have seen many reefers pile a section of their sump with live rock rubble only to remove it a year later when its packed full of detrius and muck. If you insist on rubble in your sump I would try to make it so water still flows through freely and not over the live rock. If you can have a powerhead down their too to help keep detrius suspended. As far as food it is a MUST to feed your fish a variety of foods for them to reach their maximum level of being healthy. Can fish survive a long time on brine alone? Of course. Would they live longer and be healthier if they had a mix of food??? Absolutely!! Brine has SOME of the beneficial nutrients and vitamins fish need to thrive but not all. IMO you shoould only feed frozen food 3 or 4 days of week at most. On the alternating days feed Spectrum pellets or flakes. When you feed frozen mix it up. Maybe feed brine one day followed by mysis and if you can swing it feed rods reef once in a while. Rods reef has a mixture of everything.........

IslandCrow
04/23/2010, 02:58 PM
The simple answer to your live rock question is yes, but the more correct answer is it depends. You're eventually going to reach a limit where more live rock is not providing any additional benefit. As Shane talked about, it can even be counterproductive if it's starting to trap detritus. I think most tanks have more than enough live rock, and only cause problems by adding live rock to the sump.

Anyway, I agree 100% with everyone's responses so far.