PDA

View Full Version : what happen to my powder brown tang?

whipit
04/23/2010, 06:01 AM
I dont know if this is where this post should be but I am worried about my powder brown tang he was fine last night but this morning there is something wrong with his eye it looks like he is wearing a silver contact lense. any ideas?
how can I help him? he is fat and was healthy until this morning it doesn't look like popeye I will try to get a pic.

JHemdal
04/23/2010, 07:14 AM
Until we can see a picture, I'm thinking that what you're seeing is an air bubble under the sclera of the eye. Google "Hemdal eye disease" for an online article on eye health in fishes that I wrote for Advanced Aquarist Online last month.

Jay

whipit
04/23/2010, 07:48 AM
Until we can see a picture, I'm thinking that what you're seeing is an air bubble under the sclera of the eye. Google "Hemdal eye disease" for an online article on eye health in fishes that I wrote for Advanced Aquarist Online last month.

Jay
Jay I can't seem to find that article when googled does it have pic's?

whipit
04/23/2010, 10:57 AM
here is a pic I got him last Friday by Sunday he was covered in ich all week the ich has been improving. last night he was looking normal and acting normal however he still is not eating as I would like. this morning he looks like this and I notice he is bumping into things. all param's are good.no one is picking on him. the other fish all normal he lives in a 180. any idea's??
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt260/cindywhip/026-3.jpg

JHemdal
04/23/2010, 11:01 AM
Weird, it comes right up for me in Google.

Sorry, I'm just trying to be sensitive to not posting links to other aquarium web sites here, yet it saves me a ton of time if I can direct people to some work that I've done and not have to type it all in here. It is in the March 2010 issue of Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine.

Yes, there are a number of images in the article - one, of an anthias is probably worse than your fish, but it shows the similar sort of thing.

If it is an air bubble (and not a cataract or something else) the two common causes are mechanical trauma and supersaturation. The article has a diagnostic key to help try and identify bweeen the different issues.

Jay

edit - I just saw your picutre, yep, it looks like air bubbles to me!

edit #2 - crud, it looks like the fish still also has a bad case of Cryptocaryon!!!!!

whipit
04/23/2010, 11:15 AM
Weird, it comes right up for me in Google.

Sorry, I'm just trying to be sensitive to not posting links to other aquarium web sites here, yet it saves me a ton of time if I can direct people to some work that I've done and not have to type it all in here. It is in the March 2010 issue of Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine.

Yes, there are a number of images in the article - one, of an anthias is probably worse than your fish, but it shows the similar sort of thing.

If it is an air bubble (and not a cataract or something else) the two common causes are mechanical trauma and supersaturation. The article has a diagnostic key to help try and identify bweeen the different issues.

Jay

edit - I just saw your picutre, yep, it looks like air bubbles to me!

edit #2 - crud, it looks like the fish still also has a bad case of Cryptocaryon!!!!!
Thank you for the info. I will read up.
the ich is a lot better than it was just a couple days ago. I will just keep trying to help him:)

whipit
04/28/2010, 11:46 AM
he died :(

mscarpena
04/28/2010, 02:21 PM
Why would you put a fish covered in ick into your display tank. Now there is a chance your other fish will get it.

whipit
04/28/2010, 02:23 PM
Why would you put a fish covered in ick into your display tank. Now there is a chance your other fish will get it.
R U Crazy!! it was very healthy when I got him. of course I wouldn't knowingly do it geesh.........

jjk_reef00
04/28/2010, 08:49 PM
If you still have the body do a fresh water dip.
I've seen flukes cause very cloudy eyes like you are seeing.

RBU1
04/29/2010, 04:08 AM
If I were you I would remove all my fish from the display and treat them. I would also leave my main display fishless for 10 weeks to get rid of the ich. If you don't be prepared to have problems everytime you add a new fish. QT is the key to keeping a healthy tank. You must QT anything you put in that tank that is wet.