PDA

View Full Version : Strange white spots/Lesions on Monti Cap? Need help to ID!

lukinrats
04/23/2010, 08:32 AM
Please forgive the crappy pictures, but I tried to make the problem spots stand out a little easier.
So I have seen some spots on this coral that are white, and I have just been keeping an eye on it. The other day while inspecting closely with some magnification, I noticed that around some of the spots, there are these lesion looking things.

I can't figure out what could be doing this, unless it is a hermit crab. I had one that liked to climb all over this coral, and then sit in one spot all day. Every time I moved it, it would be right back in the same spot as the day before. So, I am wondering if that is what the problem is.

Other than that, I just do not know. Can anyone help?

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x10/lukinrats/Monti.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x10/lukinrats/monti2.jpg

smoothdog
04/23/2010, 11:15 AM
Can the coral be removed and dipped? Looks like damage from a pest like aefw or monti eating nudis.

Reefer577
04/23/2010, 11:19 AM
aefw don't get on montis and nudis eat the whole tissue, there would be bleached looking spots not just tears in the tissue.

Could be your hermit. Put him in your sump and give the monti a few days, see if it improves. Nice cap btw!

lukinrats
04/23/2010, 11:25 AM
aefw don't get on montis and nudis eat the whole tissue, there would be bleached looking spots not just tears in the tissue.

Could be your hermit. Put him in your sump and give the monti a few days, see if it improves. Nice cap btw!

I was just about to say the same thing. I have had nudis before, and they were always on the back of the coral. The only way that I knew something was wrong was that the coral would retract polyps and just start to bleach/brown, etc.
This is just odd because the coral looks healthy and still has beautiful color, and great PE. I have put the hermit away, so unless there is another one in there, it should get better.
I mainly was just putting up the pictures so that I could get some more eyes on it. Maybe something that I don't know about, but someone else does.

Thanks, I really like this coral, and would hate it if something causes me to lose it.

Nathan

smoothdog
04/23/2010, 11:45 AM
After reading my post it did sound pretty stupid. I didn't mean that you had aefw since they obviously don't go after montis, I just meant it looks similar to the damage they do so I was suggesting to dip it and see if anything falls off.

arioch
04/23/2010, 01:13 PM
Hey lukinrats, one of the frags I got from you a while back did that as well (but not any of the others). It might even be that specific monti cap, not sure what you labeled it on the bag.

It started with lesions, then some tissue recession.

Not sure how or why but now it's making a full recovery and there's a whole ring of new growth along the edges.

I dipped in tank water with lugol's iodine and didn't see anything fall off, so I doubt it was any actual pests.

lukinrats
04/23/2010, 01:15 PM
Hey lukinrats, one of the frags I got from you a while back did that as well (but not any of the others). It might even be that specific monti cap, not sure what you labeled it on the bag.

Not sure how or why but now it's making a full recovery and there's a whole ring of new growth along the edges.

I dipped in tank water with lugol's iodine and didn't see anything fall off, so I doubt it was any actual pests.

Ya, I had some flesh bubbling on my Monti Spongode the other day. It was there for a day, and the was gone. I have recently raised my KH, and that is really when I started to have some odd things happening.

Glad to hear that it is doing good. Like I said, I am just looking to get some fresh prospective

lukinrats
04/23/2010, 01:40 PM
Here is what the monti nudis I had did. They never took out hunks of the tissue on the top side of the coral

Found on the underside of my incrusting montiā€™s:mad:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/millepora/Montieatingnudies1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/millepora/Montieatingnudies2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/millepora/Montieatingnudies3.jpg

lukinrats
04/23/2010, 02:31 PM

Hey, just out of curiosity. What is your KH at? Just wondering if yours might be higher than mine was. I have just recently increased KH in my tank, so I am thinking that could have something to do with this.

If yours is like 9-10 then I am going to say that is what this is.

arioch
04/23/2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I maintain mine between 9 and 10.

That could very well be it then, and it does appear that my piece has adjusted.