PDA

View Full Version : Home depot bulbs in 10 gallon fixture?

FlyTekk
04/23/2010, 11:46 AM
Hey i have a bunch and i mean a bunch of those spiral compact flourescent bulbs from homedepot. I think 4 of them are like $7.

They are rated for 60watts but only use about 16watts of power.

I have a 10 gallon light fixture from my old ten gallon tank. It supports 2 regular screw in bulbs. It has a sticker that ses 25 watt max.

So does this mean i can use 2 homedepot bulbs (the whites/blueest one) in this fixture. Is the 60watts to much for the 25watt max or is it the 16 watts true power usage that matters.

That being said can i put 2 100 watt equivalent if their true power usage is less than 25 watts each?

And lastly are these lights any good for a fowlr that one day will house macro and maaaaaybe an anemone?

These lights will only be supplemental to the leds and t5 i currently have. Just wondering if it will help anything at all besides just making it brighter in there. Thank you.

FlyTekk
04/25/2010, 12:46 AM
anyone?

E.intheC
04/25/2010, 07:38 AM
I think you have to post more specs about the bulbs. It's going to depend on light spectrum. I've heard of people using these bulbs for their sump/fuge but I'm very skeptical they'd be OK for an anemone or corals really.

Also, how are you using them if they're supplemental to T5's/LED's?

jeepguy242
04/25/2010, 07:52 AM
i say put them in and see what happens, they are under the reccomended wattage for the fixture, so electriclly speaking, you are safe.

FlyTekk
04/25/2010, 03:55 PM
So at the very least Chaeto should grow under them?

nickman
04/25/2010, 04:37 PM
a ton of people use them over refugiums for chaeto and other macro algaes with great results. i had just as good of growth using 2x18watt spiral PC bulbs as i have had with a 2 x 24 watt T5s. the bulbs and the fixtures are so cheap its hard to find fault in them.