PDA

View Full Version : My First SPS!!! Need advice

weeftard
04/23/2010, 01:20 PM
Im curious if i should move my sps closer to my lighting. I am afraid to move them up higher because of how amazing they are doing on the bottom. Right now they are all just small frags but are growing at an awesome rate. I have a 2 acro's, an oregon tort, green tort, purple pocillapora, and a montipora cap. I want to move them and hope to get more growth but I dont want to shock them. I have them under 2 250w 15k single end xm bulbs over my 75 gal tank. The tort i have has such awsome extention it makes the ones on display at my LFS look bad. They all have been in there for between 2 months and 2 weeks for the newer ones. My lfs told me to leave them be if they are happy. So im stuck for what to do !!! What risk do i face moving them up???

Ding2daDong
04/23/2010, 01:26 PM
slowly move them up. If you see them start to brown/bleach out then move them back. Just do it slowly and you should be fine. Also keep an eye on your water parameters and lots of in direct flow.

Sounds like you know what your doing already so good luck.

-Matthew

Atomikk
04/23/2010, 01:27 PM
How deep is their color? Is it deep or light? And how about polyp extension? Long or short?

weeftard
04/23/2010, 01:37 PM
Polyps are huge!! always extented. Params are stable, nitrate never gets a foothold at all, Phos is kept at bay by my phos-ban. Now i have seen one of my acro's go from being bleached out almost completely (in the lfs) to coloring up to a deep brown with a green polyps. my torts have a nice color nice deep purpley blue green, but my monti cap is a little brown instead of orange like it was in the store, thats the only one i have moved up at all and its only maybe 3 inch's off the sand. thats what kinda makes me nervous

Atomikk
04/23/2010, 03:06 PM
Polyps are huge!! always extented. Params are stable, nitrate never gets a foothold at all, Phos is kept at bay by my phos-ban. Now i have seen one of my acro's go from being bleached out almost completely (in the lfs) to coloring up to a deep brown with a green polyps. my torts have a nice color nice deep purpley blue green, but my monti cap is a little brown instead of orange like it was in the store, thats the only one i have moved up at all and its only maybe 3 inch's off the sand. thats what kinda makes me nervous

Flip the monti over to see if it has these guys:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/geekdafied/nudis/montinudi.jpg

Other than that, you are looking good. Brown is a good sign in an Acropora. But if you want to color it up a bit more, move it higher towards the top of the water surface.

maharsreef
04/23/2010, 03:20 PM
Flip the monti over to see if it has these guys:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/geekdafied/nudis/montinudi.jpg

Other than that, you are looking good. Brown is a good sign in an Acropora. But if you want to color it up a bit more, move it higher towards the top of the water surface.
Brown is a good sign in Acros?? Well I guess it means its still alive, but to me it say too manyP04's, or pest.

Atomikk
04/23/2010, 03:31 PM
Yes, in acro basics, brown is good. Its a healthy sign. Now if you want colors, you need to get it to expell the zooxanthellae. IN other words, get the acro more light :)

weeftard
04/23/2010, 08:48 PM
Well the acro in question is doing awesome it looks 100 times better then when I first got it. Its health is not in question. My phos read 0 last I checked but I will test again soon. Is that an acro eating flat worm in the picture? I assume it is but I medi coral dip every new addition to the tank. Do they come out at night? I just assumed the monti was healing from fragging I picked it up for 14 bucks and it was the best looking out of all the frags.