PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a mandarin

sfboarders
04/23/2010, 01:55 PM
Instead of hijacking the mandarin primer above I'll start a new post. :)

Just got me a large fat 3" mandarin from Blue Zoo yesterday. This fish is beautiful. He's in a 100 gallon mixed reef with about 90 lbs of LR. I have munnid isopods all over my tank. I have so much that it is making my tank ugly. I can lift up a frag plug or a rock and they are all over crawling. My back wall is crawling with them it's so disgusting.

As for the mandarin he's just sitting in the sand not picking at anything in front of him. He moved to the back of the tank where I can barely see him. I know that most fish usually hide out when they are first introduced but when should I start being alarmed? I have not seen him really swim or pick at anything yet.

Blue Zoo informs me that they fed the mandarin live baby brine with cyclopeeze. I plan on training it to eat live baby brine and slowly adding frozen brine and mysis. I also have acti-pods. You think he'll eat that?

small alien
04/23/2010, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't worry yet. Does his breathing seem normal

Try nutramar ova frozen prawn roe.

snorvich
04/23/2010, 04:06 PM
If he is still and not moving, it is likely that he was captured with cyanide. If that is the case, he will simply not make it. As for frozen, most mandarins, if healthy will eat nutramar or mysis. But if you have sufficient copepods, he will, if healthy, hunt and pick on the rock work.

sikk50
04/23/2010, 09:58 PM
My old mandarin ate all my pods then died of starvation as he refused to eat frozen foods

mikid
04/24/2010, 11:18 AM
my favorite fish, did you see where ora is going to release tank raised and feed in may-june,that will be nice.......:fish2:

small alien
04/25/2010, 03:54 AM
Status update?

snorvich
04/25/2010, 04:46 AM
Status update?

Based on your experience, what do you expect?

sfboarders
04/25/2010, 10:47 AM
Status update?

He's moved to the other side of the tank now and is scavenging the sand/rock and glass. He's starting to pick around. It looks like he's spitting some of the stuff he picked at though.

snorvich
04/25/2010, 11:52 AM
If he is moving and picking, you should be fine assuming sufficient copepods.

Inklinkerman
04/25/2010, 01:50 PM
Mine took a week to settle in, now he wanders around like he owns the place, totally ignores all the other fish and just gets on with his picking.

small alien
04/25/2010, 07:11 PM
Based on your experience, what do you expect?

I've tried 4. 3 died within 5 days. Their body weight was fine. They just died. Had 4th for about 4 months. It was eating frozen well but the feeding regimen was killing me. Needed even more than my pipe. I gave it away. I wouldn't really know what the OP should expect. I was wondering because I always want to learn more about this fish.

snorvich
04/25/2010, 08:41 PM
I've tried 4. 3 died within 5 days. Their body weight was fine. They just died. Had 4th for about 4 months. It was eating frozen well but the feeding regimen was killing me. Needed even more than my pipe. I gave it away. I wouldn't really know what the OP should expect. I was wondering because I always want to learn more about this fish.

I think the 3 that died immediately were likely cyanide captured. The last one most likely died of starvation.

sfboarders
04/25/2010, 09:59 PM

Hope mine makes it for a long time. If not, than probably I'll be getting the ORA mandarin's. LFS says they should be receiving them in July. :) I have plenty of pods for the mandarin to eat so hopefully it goes well. :)

small alien
04/25/2010, 10:04 PM
I think the 3 that died immediately were likely cyanide captured. The last one most likely died of starvation.

Are these fish captured with cyanide more often than other species?

The 4th one I gave away to another aquarist. I have decided not to try another in the near future. I am happy with my ocellated harem and they are much more vigorous eaters. I will definitely try a captive bred one if I can ever get one.

snorvich
04/26/2010, 04:43 AM
Well, I have seen a fair number captured with cyanide. If you think about the natural habitat of mandarins and their habits, that would make sense.