PDA

View Full Version : return pump and plumbing!!!!!!!!

albertcardenas8
04/23/2010, 06:04 PM
Im trying to fix up my tank for a saltwater aquarium and im trying to figure out the best way to do. I have a 72 Gal. bow front and im going to use a 30 Gal. for the sump. I have decided to use the C2C internal overflow box approx. (2) 18x 3 1/2x 2 1/2 boxes and (4) 1" bulkhead fittings 2 in each box. I am going to use 1" PVC down to the sump. I was just going to see if 4 bulkheads were going overboard, if it is i was going to turn one or two 90 degree street elbows up and two down, one of each in each box. Now here comes the questions. I am wondering about the plumbing. Should i use all of them to drain or just two as back up in case the other two clog up for some reason? What would be the best way to do the plumbing? should i connect the pipes together before getting to sump or keep all pipes seperate to sump? Does anyone know how many GPH my overflow would be and what kind/ size of return pump i would need? I see alot of people talking about using the ball or union valves to restrict flow, I plan on using some but have know idea on were to place them? I also seen them having the return teed off anf flowing back to sump is that a good idea? In the middle of the two boxes i will have my return bulkhead with a ball joint return kit. just to kinda give you an example of what it looks like ill put on pics of what it looks like now/ Im doing all this by hand overflow box, pipes and stand. I know this is alot to ask but i want to make sure i get it right the first time. And one more question, does any know if the Eshopps In-Sump Protein Skimmer PSK-100 is a good protein skimmer and will it be good for my tank?

sjorford
04/23/2010, 08:53 PM
4 is a bit overkill for a 72. A 1" should flow 600gph, so do the math. SSuggested sump flow is generally 3-5x or up to 10x, depending on who you talk to, but in reality 600gph should be fine . In tank turnover should be much higher, 20-40x tank size. Too much sump flow and you get microbubbles being sent back up to the DT, which isn't good. More sometimes is less!

I'd look at a pump rated about 7-800gph, probably pull the drains into two outlets.

For plumbing layout, take a look at melevsreef.com, he has some good info on sumps, how they work and how to plumb them.

Entropy
04/23/2010, 09:23 PM
I would convert the two outer holes into returns. Have two 1 inch drains and three returns. You can drain at least 1000gph with those two holes IMO, so draining 6-800g will be no problem. With the three returns you will get a better spread for the return flow.