PDA

View Full Version : Austrilian Dendro!!! HELP!!! Pic included!!

Gtownguy487
04/24/2010, 10:35 AM
What is going on with me Austrilian Dendro it hasnt came out in 3 days!!! I did a wat6er change yesterday morning and it still hasnt came out!!!

Everything else in my tank looks fine but dendro is getting hard and not coming out at all..

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad160/partycitybennett/009.jpg

Steve Bitter
04/24/2010, 10:54 AM
That's a bummer, sorry to hear it... You didn't say how long you've had this coral, and I don't know how familiar you are with them. So, I might be telling you stuff you already know. Anyway, that coral doesn't use light at all. That means almost everything it eats will come from you, so you need to feed it as often as possible. Often, nonphotosynthetic corals will only open up at night, so if it's new in your tank that may be the case. I notice in the photo that the small polyp at the base is losing some tissue, and by the color of the skeleton it looks rather recent. This could happen from a lot of things, but if you'd had this coral for a while and it's doing this now it could be starting to starve. It's a lot of energy expenditure for a coral to stay open all day in reef flow, and it may be that the coral can't meet its energy needs with the amount of food it's capturing. This is pretty typical, especially in newer tanks that don't have a lot of plankton production yet- judging from your live rock, I'm wondering if this is a newer tank?

Going forward, try checking it out in the middle of the night if you haven't done so already- if it's open, try and feed it directly to get it some nutrition. Good luck. hopefully it makes a comeback.

TheH
04/24/2010, 11:11 AM
Try coaxing it out by putting it in a small container and adding filter-feeder food. Then feed it some mysis or similar.

Try posting in the non photosynthetic subforum as well.

TheH
04/24/2010, 11:15 AM
Double Post

Gtownguy487
04/24/2010, 11:47 AM
The one head showing skeleton is because i saw a pepermint of mine nipping at that head for some reason anyway i moved it and its been safe until recently it hasnt cme out ... The coral is about 3 weeks old and was full blown extended everyday and everynight until about 3 days ago... Ive been feeding it everyday Coral Frenzy..

Please help this is our baby and we dont wanna lose it :(

TheH
04/24/2010, 12:55 PM
I don't think coral frenzy is suitable unless you are target feeding it in large amounts. Typically, these kind of filter feeding foods are used to elicit a feeding response (get the polyps out) so that you can feed it something meatier, like mysis shrimp.

Gtownguy487
04/24/2010, 07:44 PM
I just went and bought some PhytoFeast as well as some Mysis shrimp i hope after feeding him every night he will soon come out ...

Gtownguy487
04/25/2010, 09:01 AM
Is there any other advice that could be given to me ? It is day four and I still see no signs of it coming out!

Fishamatank
04/25/2010, 09:08 AM
Wait until the lights come out add some coral frenzy or reef roids or something similar to the the water every 10 minutes or so until it opens up and you can feed it mysis like posted above.

DEXNC
04/25/2010, 09:18 AM
try small pieces of krill , mines does real good with krill and larger pieces of meat

sue711
04/25/2010, 09:40 AM
Peppermint shrimps can absolutely tear apart the dendros tissue trying to grab food from them. GET THEM OUT!! I had to catch all 4 of my shrimps because they were literally shredding the tentacles, and directly poking the dendros in the their mouths to get at the food being digested. I also agree that you need to feed the dendros at least 2x a week with mysis or other meaty food. You need to directly aim the food within their reach. Mine open up at different times during the day, and night. I feed them when feed my fish, at about 6pm. If yours are absolutely not opening up at all, you may need to get a small hang in the tank quarantine clear container with holes that allow for some water circulation from the main tank, and put your dendros there while you directly place food on the top of each head. (this keeps them safe from other pesky fish and water currents that may blow the food off) I did this when mine were very traumatized by the peppermint shrimps and would not open up. After 20 minutes or so, you will notice that hopefully a few tentacles are showing and grabbing the food. Leave them in there for an hour or so, then carefully place them back in your tank. Do this daily until you are noticing that they are doing fine and opening up again in the tank, then you can leave them alone in the tank and feed them in place. It should only be a couple of days until they are improving. Just make sure you have removed all of your peppermint shrimps and monitor for any other tank bullies. Good luck.

Gtownguy487
04/29/2010, 07:55 AM
How did u catch the pepermints?

whipit
04/29/2010, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't worry too much mine get cranky from time to time. I just sqiurt it with some phyto and that seems to wake him up.

Amoore311
04/29/2010, 09:22 AM
I would make a little egg crate cage and put that over the coral. If the coral opens up while in the cage you know something is pestering it.

Dendros are also VERY sensitive to Low Alk, I would run a full barrage of tests to make sure all your parameters are up to snuff.

sue711
04/29/2010, 10:49 AM
How did u catch the pepermints?

I waited until lights where off, when the fish were sleeping, and the shrimp felt free to roam about. Then I put a large freeze dried krill on one end of a wooden skewer and held it in place against the glass of the tank... then with my other hand I held a net on the front glass the covering the krill but leaving space between the glass and the net to let the shrimp sneak in and get the food. As soon as the shrimp was inside the net (between the glass and the net) I quickly pressed the frame of the net right up against the glass so that the shrimp could not escape. Then I let go of the wooden skewer, so I had a free hand to put in the tank and grasp the outside of the net to enclose the shrimp inside, so that I could lift the net out without the shrimp escaping. It took a few nights to do all the shrimp, and they are very smart so you can only try it once or twice on each shrimp before they become wise to the process. Good luck!!