PDA

View Full Version : Man made rock curing question

reefienick
04/24/2010, 03:29 PM
Hey,
I am making my own rock for my new 75 gallon reef tank. I have made the rock and it is curing in a kiddie pool out in the yard. I have the water hose in it and it turns on 3 times a day for 5 mins. It has been curing for a month and I measured the PH and it is still off the charts. Has anyone ever made their own rock here and how long did it take for the PH to come down?? Also was is a sudden drop of a slow drop.

Thanks everyone!!!

Whisperer
04/24/2010, 04:28 PM
A couple of months, at least. I like adding vinegar near the end. Then just water in the last week. I do not do continuous water replacement like you do. I change water every week but I have a powerhead that circulates water all the time. This decreases curing time.

Mattik
04/25/2010, 02:48 PM
8-12 weeks....I've heard that adding vinegar can help, but never tried it.

Also, you may try buffering the water to see how that impacts the ph....buffered water may tone down the extreme ph

reefienick
04/30/2010, 07:35 PM
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Thanks for the info. I am trying your suggestion and took some peices into a small tub and put a power head in it to see how that goes over the next few weeks!!! I will let everyone know how it works out.