PDA

View Full Version : T5 question

Balanophyllia
04/24/2010, 10:38 PM
I have a t5 setup 4x 39watt anyone have some suggestions as to what bulbs I should get? I've been looking into the geisemann and thinking of getting 2 aqua blue plus, actinic plus and the Pure actinic. Or should I do the aquaflora, blue plus, actinic plus and the pure actinic?

rtparty
04/24/2010, 10:40 PM
I have a t5 setup 4x 39watt anyone have some suggestions as to what bulbs I should get? I've been looking into the geisemann and thinking of getting 2 aqua blue plus, actinic plus and the Pure actinic. Or should I do the aquaflora, blue plus, actinic plus and the pure actinic?

Actinic Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
Aquablue
Actinic Plus

Balanophyllia
04/25/2010, 12:36 PM
Another question should I get the uv bulb version of the blue plus and act plus?

dj9264
04/25/2010, 12:42 PM

ATI makes a Blue+ which is alittle brighter than the G'm Actinic+. They are about the same blue so it's best to use 2 of those. Then one 50/50, I like the G'm. And the KZ Fiji Purple to pop the red and blue/purple.

I would skip the Pure Actinic, it does not give you too much in a 4 bulb all T-5 set-up. The Aquaflora is more of a freshwater bulb. GE makes a 6.5K bulb if you want more white.

Balanophyllia
04/25/2010, 07:42 PM
So how does 2 ati b+, 1 ati aquablue special, and 1 kz Fiji purple sound? I want really good color pop and growth. Is the aquablue special good for growth?

gonpostal
04/25/2010, 10:07 PM
I have 2 ATI Aquablue Special, and 2 Giesemann Actinic Plus. The Aquablue Specials are basically white, and the Actinic Plus make the colors of my corals pop. If you want a little more PAR, you can go with ATI Blue Plus instead of the Giesemanns. I also bought a UVL Actinic White when I ordered my bulbs. It turns out the Actinic White is pretty purple. I wasn't crazy about the color, so I stuck with the Giesemanns. It's all about personal preference, but IMO a purple bulb in a 4 bulb fixture adds a little too much purple. It may look better in a 6 or 8 bulb fixture, where the purple would be a little more subdued. Others may disagree. Also, maybe the Fiji Purple bulb has a slightly different color than the Actinic White. If I were you I'd order 2 Aquablue Special, and 2 either Blue Plus, or Giesemann Actinic Plus (Blue Plus has a little more PAR). You can also order a Fiji Purple and try it in place of one of the blue bulbs and see how you like it.

rtparty
04/25/2010, 11:35 PM
In a 4 bulb setup you need the Fiji Purple over an Actinic White for the exact reason mentioned above.

I have 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue and 1 Fiji and I see NO purple whatsoever. My tank is nearly identical to a Phoenix 14k that is a little overdriven.

Balanophyllia
04/26/2010, 01:18 AM
Ok so I got 2 ati b+, 1 kz Fiji purple, and 1 kz coral light II. Will this work?

rtparty
04/26/2010, 08:12 AM
Ok so I got 2 ati b+, 1 kz Fiji purple, and 1 kz coral light II. Will this work?

Yes that will be slightly bluer than my setup so you are looking at right around 16k or so.

Balanophyllia
04/26/2010, 09:01 AM
How does that setup sound? This is my first time with t5's and the combinations are endless and I just want good growth and color pop. Will I get that with this setup?

dj9264
04/28/2010, 12:01 PM

This would be good.

Option to try KZ Super Blue in place of one of the Blue Plus. Maybe a little less PAR but slightly more pop>

dj9264
04/28/2010, 12:03 PM
Got your note: 50/50s are white like the Aquablues High PAR 10K bulbs

Balanophyllia
04/28/2010, 07:06 PM
Thank you! Now I just can't wait for my power to come back on and I'm waiting for my bulbs which should be coming in on Monday! Almost half of everything died or is dying. I have all my salvageable corals and fish at my lfs to hold for me until my power issue is resolved. I lost my pair of Picasso clowns!!!! And some of my sps looked horrible after the move. :(