PDA

View Full Version : Muliple Questions(Newbie)

AJReefer
04/25/2010, 12:32 AM
I am in the process of converting my freshwater aquarium into a saltwater. I was originally relocating the aquarium and thought I might as well convert. The first step I am approaching is making live rock. I know where to purchase portland cement but, which looks better white or grey? Also where can I get crushed oyster shell in Southern California? There are no animal feed stores in the area and obtaining crushed oyster shells is nearly impossible in the urban area. (If I can't aquire crushed oyster shell then, I would just substitute with crushed coral)

My aquarium is about 28-30 US gallons, which protein skimmer is recommend for a reef tank?
If anyone can please give advice:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-FISH-TANK-PROTEIN-SKIMMER-FILTER-180-W-PUMP_W0QQitemZ170465780651QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27b08d63ab
Is the following skimmer any good? The product doesn't appeal me because of its low price, usually they are expensive and the manufaturer isn't listed.
Another consideration is I plan on having the skimmer in sump.

How much flow would I need in the tank? Which powerheads are recommended?

What kind of lighting fixture is required to grow corals?

Any advice, tips, suggestions, concerns, welcomed.

75gsalt
04/25/2010, 12:41 AM
Forget about that skimmer, I bought one and was never happy. Get yourself a Red Sea Prizm or the new Mini Protein Skimmer 115 both can be found at drsfosterandsmith.com.
You will want a Hydor 1 or 2, or something about that size. Why are you wnating to make your rock? Why are you wanting crushed oyster shell, you will have far better luck with sand.

hopple5
04/25/2010, 01:15 AM
yeah i wouldnt worry about a skimmer just yet, or at least till you get the tank cycled and all that. Id be sure to have enough live rock to water ratio. Id say flow is key but maybe be carefull at first with too much flow depending on what type of bottom your doin. I have a deep sand bed so at first it would kick up a bit till it settles over time. I would not use crushed coral for it will trap a lot of debre as in food to lead to water issues. Seems like the new better and cheaper way to go is LED. reef on p.s. Koralia makes nice nano type powerheads.:bigeyes:

current tank: 20 tall reef/20 tall fuge
Newly established

Dont Ask Me
04/25/2010, 05:44 AM
For 30 gallons you will need one or two powerheads, depending on the shape of your tank, if its long and skinny two would be ideal, if its a cube one would suffice.

The general rule for flow is atleast a minimum of 10x - 15x water volume, you can get some good propeller type powerheads for around $30 ea they are a copy of the koralia's unit and are just as good at under half the price.

As for lighting will depend on what corals you are wanting to keep, for some LPS and soft corals a 3 bulb t-5 fixture with decent bulbs would be the minimum IMO.

As for that skimmer it wouldnt be a great choice, go with a better brand, reef octopus make some decent cheap skimmer units, if money isnt an issue go with something better.

floydie83
04/25/2010, 05:53 AM
For rock, buy some dry rock (marcorocks, bulkreefsupply, two that come off the top of my head) then seed it with a small amount of nice coralline live rock (10 lbs). Then sit back for a while.

Dont Ask Me
04/25/2010, 05:57 AM
Any particular reason your making rock over buying proper calcium carbonate rock?

LittlePuff
04/25/2010, 11:12 AM
Or live rock?

chewey
04/25/2010, 11:36 AM
since you are starting up, I would try to search for used stuff. More cost affective. For flow, I would say the Koralia k2 should be good. Skimmer, I like the Tunze nano skimmer... or you can go with Hang on Back ( HOB ) http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1819956&highlight=hob+skimmer

rudyretama
04/25/2010, 12:21 PM
if you really want crushed oyster shell, even though i think you would be better off with sand, you can try this animal feed store called blacksmith's corner. its in longbeach. i go there all the time to pick up animal feed for the three ducks we have so i know they have it.

Im14abeer
04/26/2010, 08:23 AM
The crushed oyster shell and/or crushed coral are for his diy rocks. More readdy less typee. The prizm sucks, find a better reputation skimmer used if money is a concern. Lights are dependant on what you want to keep. Whatever powerheads you decide on, definitely get two, it would suck to have a crash because your single powerhead stopped for whatever reason.

AJReefer
04/27/2010, 09:02 PM
Today I made a batch of DIY live rock. I'm going to take my time curing it while I sell my freshwater fish and live plants and gather equipment needed such as skimmer, powerheads, etc.

Right now I'm focusing on buying a good lighting fixture. I have no clue about corals and If anyone gave me the basics of them, I would appreciate. I would most likely be going with this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16770
Is it good enough for a tank that measures 24"L x 15"W x 16"H(About 28 US gallons)?

I am going with the http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21416 protein skimmer for multiple reasons:
It's cheap,
Small,
Good reputation,
Perfect size for my aquarium.

I am going with a 10 US gallon tank to use as a refugium/sump.

How deep of a sandbed should I keep for a reef tank?

All advice welcomed! :spin3:

steelhead77
04/28/2010, 12:42 AM
OK. So you know that DIY rock will take about six months to become "live" and should not go into your tank until it is fully cured. My advise would be to search craigslist or a local reef club for tank breakdowns and buy some cured rock with lots of coraline on it. You'll need about 30-45 lbs for a 30 gallon tank. My next piece of advise would be to get a bigger tank. :) You know you'll want one, so better to start now with a bigger tank than upgrading in a few months. In saltwater bigger is ALWAYS better. Anyway, for flow, a couple K1's will be fine for a 30 gal. For lighting, it depends on what you want to keep. For softies and LPS, those T5's will be fine. If you want a clam or SPS's then metal halide is the only way to go. For a skimmer, get one that is rated for at least twice your tank size. The one you reference, is a little on the small side. Something like an Aqua C Remora or similar will be best. Stay away from the Prizm or others like it. About 30 lbs of sand or so will give you about a 3 inch sand bed. This will be fine for your size tank. Good luck.

hopple5
04/28/2010, 04:07 AM
id say thats good advice. Be sure to have the proper test kits n additives to help keep things stable or consistently so. As in say refracto, salt to last, and additives say to help with calcium as well as many other fundamentals as i myself am learning all about...slowly but surely

travis32
04/28/2010, 07:06 AM
If you're going to be doing this over a period of 3 to 6 months. I would suggest drawing up a checklist, refractometer, Reef test kits that include -- ammonia, nitrite, nitrate to start with and additional tests such as ph, alk, Calcium, magnesium, and phosphates down the road. Salt, RO/DI unit for water, and so on. Just check off the items as you get them. You can always add to the list.

If $$ becomes an issue, always remember to try craigslist. I've gotten a lot of great equipment from reefers calling it quits or upgrading. You can get everything from established LR to corals to lighting fixtures.

blennydude
04/28/2010, 10:50 AM
AJ, ditch the diy rock and get some real rock. One it looks fake, two it will never have the bacterial make up that it took real live rock to achieve by sitting in the ocean for years. Yes, you can seed your fake rock w/ a couple real pcs but it will take a long time for your tank to have enough for proper filtration. Look on local reef clubs, there is always someone getting out and selling rock for cheap. That's jmho.

AJReefer
04/29/2010, 07:07 PM
How can I benefit from a 72 watt power compact lighting? My tank is about 30 US gallons. 24L" X 15"W X 15H" A local aquarium store is selling a two bulb(36 Watt ea) for $80. Is this going to do any good and what kind of corals can it grow?

lordofthereef
04/29/2010, 08:01 PM
AJ, ditch the diy rock and get some real rock. One it looks fake, two it will never have the bacterial make up that it took real live rock to achieve by sitting in the ocean for years. Yes, you can seed your fake rock w/ a couple real pcs but it will take a long time for your tank to have enough for proper filtration. Look on local reef clubs, there is always someone getting out and selling rock for cheap. That's jmho.

I disagree completely. Given six months time (or less), your rock will look just like any other live rock you have seen. If you do a good job messing with shapes, it doesn't look too fake at all. Once it "becomes live" and covered in coralline you won't be able to tell the difference. Check out some established tank that had DIY dry rock. They look fantastic.