PDA

View Full Version : GE silicone II problem need help

stumpyid
04/25/2010, 01:14 PM
Changed out my sump 2 weeks ago and used GE Silicone II because of its fast cure time--water safe in three hours. Let it cure around 15 hours and refilled the sump. Next day SPS and LPS looked bad. Started doing research and found I should not have used the Silicone II. Tore down sump and reglued sump with silicone I. After this did water changes of 80 g, 60 g, and finally 150 g to get rid of the toxins. The last water change was a week ago. LPS now look fine but about half of the SPS still not looking good and have lost about 8 colonies. Should add that I have been using NP Biopellets, but these were off line for several days durning the sump change outs. Been running carbon and have the biopellets back up. Tank parameters are as follows:

Ca 430
dkh 11.1
Mg 1425
no3 1.0
Nh4 <.25
po4 .024

All test done with Salifert test kits except po4 which is the D-D kit.

Tank is now have a red slime outbreak. Is it possible the Silicone II killed my biofilitration?

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks Scott

HighlandReefer
04/25/2010, 01:33 PM
I believe the problem with the GE Silicone II, was with the presence of anti-mildew agents added to the formual. If so, this could kill bacteria in your system. Perhaps adding bacteria now from one of the formulations or from a cup of sand from a fellow hobbyist would help.

servicky
04/25/2010, 11:43 PM
exactly it has mildew inhibitor in it,, what you need is ge silicone 1200 series
not a home depot product look for a commercial supplier or google it...

bertoni
04/26/2010, 03:59 AM
I suspect that the problem is the general level of organic debris in the tank from the organisms killed by the sealant. A bacterial supplement might help, but I probably wouldn't bother. A series of 15% water changes, maybe one a day, might help, along with siphoning out the slime for a few minutes each day.