PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse Swimming Problems

Jagermeister
04/25/2010, 07:25 PM
About 2 months ago I got three wrasses from a local group buy, a solarenis, carpenter's, and mccosker's. The solarenis died the first day or so in qt. After a three week qt, I added the carpenter's and mccosker's to the display which only contains a potter's wrasse.

About a week after adding the two fish, the carpenter's started swimming funny. At first he would roll to a side and then upright himself, and tilt forward and then upright himself. This progressed for about a week worsening to the point where he was all over the place, doing flips and rolls, upside down, tumbling, etc. The entire time he kept his color and appetite, even at the end where he would frantically swim towards food but would often miss it becuase he couldn't control himself. I put him in a qt and he finally died. I guess one tidbit of information that I didn't think was anything (but could be an identifying factor, I suppose) is the carpenter's developed a very dark spot on the top of his head. It looked like a dark bruise as if he had hit his head on something. It never went away before he died. Don't know if that's anything or not.

Well, now, a month later, the mccoskers is starting to show signs of the same affliction. Still has his color and appetite, but starting to flip once in a while and not too stabile in his swimming. Just saw him swimming upside down a little while ago.

I'm at a loss of what to do. I've researched this and it seems other's have experienced this with wrasses but were also at a loss. Guesses have been a swim bladder infection or internal parasites. I'm going to start feeding brine shrimp gut loaded with prazipro as soon as the lfs gets brine shrimp in. Not sure how to go about treating a swim bladder infection.

Any other suggestions or answers?

Thanks.

iamwrasseman
04/25/2010, 08:56 PM
treat with prazi pro for the parisites right in your display tank as it is 100% safe for everything . the bladded infection is another story and i have no clue on that part but i hope that the prazi pro works .

Voyager22
04/25/2010, 09:05 PM
Yea use some prazipro, it is reefsafe also...