PDA

View Full Version : Large water change on QT?

Asureef
04/25/2010, 08:14 PM
So, I've been running a 20g quarantine tank for about two weeks now and treating for ich with cupramine. Nitrite and ammonia have started to skyrocket in the last two days. I've been doing 30% water changes everyday, with little improvement. I'm not overfeeding and it's not the new mixed water. I'm now contemplating on doing a large water change, say about 80-100% re-dosing cupramine to appropriate level. Since, I've never done such a large water change. I wonder if it will overly stress-out the three fishes in QT. Since, I will be using the same mixture of salt, water parameters will be exact or close to the water in quarantine. What do you guys think?

jjk_reef00
04/25/2010, 10:12 PM
I do 50% water changes on qt tanks with no problem. I don't think the 80% will be that bad as long as the fish is fairly healthy.

Ryno368
04/26/2010, 08:35 AM
i agree with jjk you should not have much of a problem doing that. also are the fish showing signs of improving and eating well if so the water change should not stress them

BoBilo
04/26/2010, 10:21 PM
I have been doing 50% changes every other day currently while treating with copper. My fish are looking healthy and doing good going on 3 weeks now.

clittrell
04/26/2010, 10:34 PM
I was doing 40% changes every 3 days for the first few weeks when I set up a 29 gallon QT. Finally after about 4 weeks my nitrites came down. I also added stability with every change.

Good luck!

Asureef
04/26/2010, 10:52 PM
I was doing 40% changes every 3 days for the first few weeks when I set up a 29 gallon QT. Finally after about 4 weeks my nitrites came down. I also added stability with every change.

Good luck!

I'm treating with cupramine, so I can't use anything else. Anyways, I did a 90% water change today and nitrites/ammonia are back at 0. Fishes are also doing well.

RBU1
04/27/2010, 03:53 AM
You can do a 100% water change with no issue as long as the parameters are not far off..The fact you are getting ammonia tells me that your tank has not cycled or you don't have enough bacteria established to support the tank.
What are you using for filtration?

Asureef
04/27/2010, 05:46 PM
You can do a 100% water change with no issue as long as the parameters are not far off..The fact you are getting ammonia tells me that your tank has not cycled or you don't have enough bacteria established to support the tank.
What are you using for filtration?

I set up the tank in a hurry, so it could be cycling. For filtration, I use a simple hob filter filled with filter fiber.

RBU1
04/27/2010, 05:53 PM
A cycling tank with fish in it is a bad idea....

I would do 100% water changes and add a bottle bacteria to help get some things established. If not I am afraid you will lose the fish. The stress from having them in QT along with the ammonia and nitrite will do them in no doubt about it.

Are the fish still eating? If they are I would do a 100% water change and hold off on the Cuprmaine till you get the ammonia and nitrite under control. As long as they are eating they can deal with the ich.

Asureef
04/27/2010, 06:52 PM
A cycling tank with fish in it is a bad idea....

I would do 100% water changes and add a bottle bacteria to help get some things established. If not I am afraid you will lose the fish. The stress from having them in QT along with the ammonia and nitrite will do them in no doubt about it.

Are the fish still eating? If they are I would do a 100% water change and hold off on the Cuprmaine till you get the ammonia and nitrite under control. As long as they are eating they can deal with the ich.

It's a little late for that, I've been using cupramine for two weeks. I do water changes daily.

RBU1
04/27/2010, 07:37 PM
You are missing my point....When you do a 100% water change do not add any cupramine to it. Just change the water and add some bacteria to get the nitrification process going.

rtbm
04/28/2010, 05:54 AM
agreed. the qt tank still has to cycle or you will not be successfull. Patience goes a long long way when treating fish in this manner.

clittrell
04/28/2010, 06:48 AM
It will take time to cycle. I posted this before but here is a little more detail of my resaults.

When I did mine I kept the cupramine level at .5 even while cycling the tank. I figured I was already treating so i should not stop I did daily water changes 1/3 of the water until the amonia dropped. I also added seachem's stability at each change. Once I only had nitrites, less toxic than amonia, I did 15% changes ever three days until one day the nitrites were 0. They have been there since. It took a long time for the nitrites to go down but eventually it did cycle.

Now it has been 8 weeks and the cupramine is out of the tank and the fish look good. A few more weeks I'll slowly move them back to the DT.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asureef
04/28/2010, 06:14 PM
Okay, I just did a little research on "Stability", seachem states it can be used in conjunction with Cupramine. I may pick up a bottle this weekend. Thanks for the input guys!