PDA

View Full Version : Canon SX210IS

mr9iron
04/25/2010, 09:18 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this camera. The mrs and I went to Best Buy and the associate showed us a couple of cameras but suggested this one in particular. I liked it because it could record HD video at 720p plus it seemed to have quite a few settings. I am not a camera expert but would like to take pics of my tank, kids and other things. Here is a link to the camera.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+14.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/9770402.p?id=1218170522731&skuId=9770402

Reef Bass
04/26/2010, 07:05 AM
In my opinion, you're going to have a hard time getting accurate colors shooting pics of corals under high color temperature lights without shooting in RAW mode, which it appears that camera does not offer, or at least I did not see listed in the spec's for that camera on the page you provided. Yes, you can fiddle with custom white balances, but they're a pain compared to shooting in RAW and setting the white balance while post processing.

mr9iron
04/26/2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the info, as you can tell I am a camera novice. I am a point and shoot person and never wanted to mess with setting to much until now.

Reef Bass
04/26/2010, 07:42 PM
I don't mean to say that camera isn't a dandy point and shoot. It may well be. But for the specialty situation of shooting under high color temp lights it is not well suited.

Keep in mind that all cameras, even high dollar dslrs, have issues white balancing under high color temperature lights. However, users of them are likely to be already shooting in RAW (or using custom white balances) and to be post processing their shots.

If you know you are unlikely to ever want to dabble with RAW or post processing, then you might just live with "too blue" tank pics and base your choice of point and shoot camera on other criteria.

Of course, if you choose a camera that supports RAW, then you can explore that down the road if you change your mind.

IPT
04/26/2010, 10:35 PM
I just bought the S90 (Canon). It doesn't have the HD video, or quite the zoom. It does have an amazing reputation for clean images (low noise), has a wide angle zoom (28mm), and a largae aperature (F2), and it shoots RAW.

It's a little more expensive, but I love mine. Great little P&S.

mr9iron
04/27/2010, 05:29 AM
I don't mean to say that camera isn't a dandy point and shoot. It may well be. But for the specialty situation of shooting under high color temp lights it is not well suited.

Keep in mind that all cameras, even high dollar dslrs, have issues white balancing under high color temperature lights. However, users of them are likely to be already shooting in RAW (or using custom white balances) and to be post processing their shots.

If you know you are unlikely to ever want to dabble with RAW or post processing, then you might just live with "too blue" tank pics and base your choice of point and shoot camera on other criteria.

Of course, if you choose a camera that supports RAW, then you can explore that down the road if you change your mind.

I just bought the S90 (Canon). It doesn't have the HD video, or quite the zoom. It does have an amazing reputation for clean images (low noise), has a wide angle zoom (28mm), and a largae aperature (F2), and it shoots RAW.

It's a little more expensive, but I love mine. Great little P&S.

I will look for a camera that shoots RAW! Thanks for the information, I guess I have alot to learn about cameras. :lol:

jdaniels175
04/27/2010, 09:01 AM
Look into the Canon Hack Disk Kit. It is a firmware "update" of sorts that you load onto your media card. It allows you to do all sorts of stuff that is not available "out of the box", like shooting in RAW. I use it on my S5IS, and it works great.

mr9iron
04/27/2010, 07:02 PM
Look into the Canon Hack Disk Kit. It is a firmware "update" of sorts that you load onto your media card. It allows you to do all sorts of stuff that is not available "out of the box", like shooting in RAW. I use it on my S5IS, and it works great.

I will look into that. Thanks alot.