PDA

View Full Version : Tolerable levels of ammonia for hermits?

borillion_star
04/26/2010, 01:33 AM
I have a tank curing and the ammonia is at 0.50. I have a hermit in my 20 gallon that has just gotten out of hand. He is knocking over a everything and damaging my corals.

Would it be ok to put him into the cycling 50 gallon?

Shane Hoffman
04/26/2010, 01:55 AM
No, invertabrates are way more sensitive than fish to amonia. I am fairly certain he would die within a day. Also there isnt a food supply in the new tank. Wh dont you get a small container you can hang on the lip of you 20 gallon and drill a few holes in it so water can flow through it yet still contain the hermit. If you have an old tupperware container with a lid you could alsodrill holes in that put the hermit in with the lid on and submerge it in the 20 until the 55 is up and running.

borillion_star
04/26/2010, 02:12 AM
theres lots of diatoms and hair algae

ilovesoda
04/26/2010, 03:32 AM
It would still die. Tolerable levels of ammonia you ask though? the answer would be a big fat ZERO. Putting him in a container with some holes in it, in the already set up tank, would be your best bet in keeping him alive + keeping him out of trouble.

borillion_star
04/26/2010, 03:40 AM
Yea I don't wanna kill him so I did that for now. I have two big welks or nassarius snails that have survived in the sand of the recycling tank I bought it from somebody. I'll take them out also or will they die too? they where a suprise because he had it sitting out for a week all the hermits where dead he left in there along with the turbo snails. :(

ilovesoda
04/26/2010, 03:43 AM
If it were me, I would get them out. Maybe some of the nassarius snails will live, but why bother killing the other few? Saves a trip to the LFS to buy some more. Best thing to do would be to take them out, then drip acclimate (if you have the time) into the already set up tank.

borillion_star
04/26/2010, 07:36 PM
all critters I could see and catch are in the established tank

ilovesoda
04/27/2010, 12:59 AM
Awesome, I'm sure they would appreciate it if they knew what would have happened to them