PDA

View Full Version : More Bangaii questions.

d-maz
04/26/2010, 02:41 PM
My male has been holding eggs for 25 days now. I took him out at 20 days hoping he would release them on 21 but no dice. Should I just keep waiting, or is there something I should do? Is this normal? Any suggestions?

gmneil
04/27/2010, 01:33 AM
you can wait, or what i have done in the past is put some food right in front of him, it usually is enough for him to spit the babys, so he can eat

nauticac4
04/27/2010, 05:50 AM
You can force him to spit the babies by placing him in a container and gently lifting him in and out of the water. Typically he will spit the babies out, sometimes they swallow them but more than likely they just open up and release the eggs.

Can you see the babies in his mouth? 25 days isn't too long. Might give it another day or too.

bigbearcrain
04/27/2010, 10:55 AM
You did better than i didnt even know mine were breeding. Went to clean the overflows a little on my 220 gal and low and behold, there were 2 baby Bangaii's. After 2 weeks i finally removed them, they are now in the 45 gal. But now to catch the origanal pair big chore. Looks like the Male has started holding more. what to do what to do.

d-maz
04/27/2010, 04:04 PM
I would assume that these guys have to be hatched by now, correct?

As far as the food in front of him, he definitely wont eat it. When he was in the main tank he would get right up to the mysis or brine and wont touch it.

d-maz
04/27/2010, 06:39 PM
Well I think I waited to long. I took the male and pulled him out of the water and he only spit out 3. 2 look fine and 1 looks messed up. He must have swallowed a few. We`ll see what happens next time.

blennydude
04/27/2010, 11:15 PM
D-maz, the fry will hatch on day 21 like clockwork. I usually see the female doing her booty shake dance and a day or two after the male has his cheeks full. If you catch that first day, mark it on the calender and count down. On day 21 I look at the male closely and when I can see the little babies eyes peeking out of his mouth it's time to get out the net and bowl of water. Oh yeah, and don't forget to fire up your baby brine shrimp hatchery on day 20. As soon as I put the babies in the 10 gal, they get thier first meal.

macchicks
04/29/2010, 09:08 AM
21 days seems to be the common timeline but my male likes to hold till day 28.
The babies are stronger for it.

d-maz
04/29/2010, 08:25 PM
Well there is good news and bad news. Good news- I have a few rocks in the tank I have them in and some must have been hiding because now I count 10.
Bad news- I think my male has died. I haven`t seen him all day today.

Dave

bigbearcrain
04/30/2010, 11:40 PM
I dont know abt the 21 day thing. 3 weeks after finding the 2 in the overflow this morning actually all day i fished out 8 more one i watched the male spit out. got to get these bangii out of my 220.