PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a dirty and used tank

kettlecorn
04/26/2010, 03:54 PM
I didn't know about the vinegar so i spent about 3 hours scrubbing nonstop the tank with water, tooth brush, razors and tryin to get caked toothpaste-like algae and coraline off the tank.

I just loaded the tank in the bathtub with water and poured about a half a bottle of vinegar in. How long do i have to let it soak for all the stuff to get nice and soggy?

I also put all the used powerheads and stuff as well but i wasn't sure if i was supposed to keep the powerhead running or not. Its off at the moment.

Tuscaquatics
04/26/2010, 04:10 PM
The longer the better. Ideally overnight. And just dump all the stuff in and soak it. No need to plug stuff up.

mcfeefer
04/26/2010, 04:11 PM
I like over night ,if it is not long enough it will not just wipe off. Try a little longer . good luck

firebirdcrzy
04/26/2010, 04:11 PM
No need to run powerheads but you can if you want. I would recommend dissasembling the powerheads while they soak so the impeller and such will clean better. I would let soak atleast overnight, but the longer the better.

kettlecorn
04/26/2010, 04:13 PM
Awesome thank you. :)

polyppetey
04/26/2010, 08:22 PM
Run the powerhead in the vinegar to clean it. Also clean one side of the tank at a time by pouring in the vinegar and laying the tank on its side, then turning it one side at a time facing down. OR using paper towels and soaking them in the vinegar and sticking them to your problem areas.