PDA

View Full Version : What should I use for paint under the stand?

mcoomer
04/26/2010, 10:28 PM
I want to build a tub to put my sump and pump in that I can put under my steel stand. I'm thinking that I'd build it out of MDF, prime it with Kilz, and finish with exterior latex. I don't need anything fancy but I do want it to be able to stand up to the occasional skimmer overflow or leak and something that I can wipe clean with a wet towel.

Let me know what you think.

Mike

reefvilla
04/27/2010, 07:10 AM
I bought some paint for under my tank... Got it at Lowes.

Valspar Interior kitchens and baths and it is Mildew Proof so it says. Works really well and I've had plenty of water on it with no problems.
You could also use some epoxy paint which would hold up really well.

mfinn
04/27/2010, 08:24 AM
I've always just used a good exterior latex, primed with kilz.
I just saw a stand that I made 12 years ago ( a friend has it) and it still looks pretty good.

der_wille_zur_macht
04/27/2010, 08:51 AM
Lots of suitable options. Marine-quality epoxy (West Systems, MAS, etc.) or epoxy paint (Sweetwater) is probably the "best" but also the most expensive, messiest, etc. Plain old exterior spar urethane is cheap and easy. And so on.

You may have already thought about this, but a spill containment system does you no good unless you have a way to sound an alarm when a spill happens - otherwise you're just buying a few extra minutes/hours until your tub overflows onto the floor. Something like this at least:

http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-Leak-Alert-Electronic-Detector/dp/B00004XOVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272379838&sr=8-1

I'm sure you've thought of this too, but if you make it out of MDF, I'd be extra sure to protect it (paint as noted above) inside and out, every nook and cranny. MDF turns to mush when it gets wet.

spieg
04/27/2010, 09:35 AM
Id go with a 2 part epoxy. I used it on the inside of my stand and it turned out great.

mcoomer
04/27/2010, 02:49 PM
Lots of suitable options. Marine-quality epoxy (West Systems, MAS, etc.) or epoxy paint (Sweetwater) is probably the "best" but also the most expensive, messiest, etc. Plain old exterior spar urethane is cheap and easy. And so on.

You may have already thought about this, but a spill containment system does you no good unless you have a way to sound an alarm when a spill happens - otherwise you're just buying a few extra minutes/hours until your tub overflows onto the floor. Something like this at least:

http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-Leak-Alert-Electronic-Detector/dp/B00004XOVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272379838&sr=8-1

I'm sure you've thought of this too, but if you make it out of MDF, I'd be extra sure to protect it (paint as noted above) inside and out, every nook and cranny. MDF turns to mush when it gets wet.

I run a float switch in my sump so that I get an alarm if the sump is filling up. I suppose I could mount another one inverted on the side of the tub so that I get an alarm if something breaks so that the tub is filling but the sump isn't. Good call Willie.

As for constructing it out of MDF. I'm all ears for more suitable materials. I've only just begun this build so I'm still putting pencil to paper. Only work I've done so far has been cleaning up the tank and work on the metal stand that I have for it.

Thank you,
Mike

stugray
04/27/2010, 06:29 PM
White appliance epoxy paint from HD.

It comes in spray or 1 qt. cans.

Stu