PDA

View Full Version : sick fish help

Salt H2O Guy
04/27/2010, 03:03 PM
I have a 110 show fowlr tank, I started it 1 1/2 yrs ago with 5 b/g chromis, m & f clown couple, yellow tang, blue tang, Hawk, and juvie Koran. Also have an old Choc chip star. Noticed about 8 mo ago my blue tang was getting blotchy on face and soon noticed it with the Koran. watched for a while and was getting worse, and looked like a scar forming on lateral line. LFS recomended "Rally" by Ruby Reef, decided to treat entire tank. Did this twice about 1 mo apart or so. Also added "Fish solution" by Ecosystem to food, with no result. lost the yellow (unrelated I think) The blue commited suicede by jumping :( and slowly, 1 every 2 mo or so lost a Chromis. My Koran slowly became quite disfigured, bad coloring, no fins, scaring. LFS sold me an electrical thing that grounds any shorts in system, proclaming it could be stray voltage. didn't really notice any differance. Last week Koran died. I now have 2 Chromis (both with white scars on head near eyes) the Hawk, looks and acts perfectly fine, 2 clowns acting like rabbits procreating every couple weeks and no physical signs of problems, and the old star who has become much more sluggish in the last month and though no scaring, is loosing choc chip coloring on body. I really would like to add fish to my poor aquarium, but am concerned because of problems. Thinking about adding 3 Chromis and monitoring their health over a few months and if all is good add other varieties. Does anyone think they may know what may have happend or can direct me to a solution so I can have a happy aquarium again? Thank you.
BTW I use salt water from the ocean, I let it set 3 days b4 use, and top with rodi water. maint has been 15% 3 times a week, I have a sump, skimmer, and bioballs in my overflow. Approx 60-80 lbs live rock, w/live sand bed. That's about it... Thanks :)

capnfritz
04/27/2010, 03:30 PM
FWIW I run ground probes on my tanks. Ditch the bio balls. I know I'm in the minority, but I won't use NSW, too many variables that I can't contol.

Salt H2O Guy
04/27/2010, 03:37 PM
I currently have a probe in my sump only, figured water is continueous, should it be in tank directly instead?