PDA

View Full Version : Vodka and Bubble Algae

shandy_say
04/27/2010, 07:40 PM
Been doing vodka dosing for about a month now. Since then nitrates have gone down from 20ppm to 5ppm. Haven't increase dosing which was supposed to be today mainly because I saw some bubble algae growing on the base of one of my acros. Supposedly bubble algae grows due to high nutrients. But does anyone know why it only came out now when my nitrates have actually gone down already? Does vodka dosing cause bubble algae? Phosphate in my tank is undetectable using API and Elos test kits which is why i turned off my phosban reactor already.

bertoni
04/27/2010, 07:43 PM
Bubble algae grow for various reasons, although they do need food. Your tank is still high enough in nitrate to support a lot of algae. I wouldn't worry about it.

woody283
04/27/2010, 07:47 PM
Bubble algea is the only algea that grows in my tank anymore since ive started vodka. manual removal is the only way i can keep it under control.

shandy_say
04/27/2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks bertoni and woody283. This is the 2nd bubble i saw since the past week. I manually removed the 1st one when i pulled out of the tank the blasto frag which had bubble algae growing on it. Since then it hasn't regrown on the blasto frag. Now the 2nd one is on the base of an acro. Will have to take it out again tonight.

You guys think I should up my vodka dosage already or just leave it be for the meantime?

HighlandReefer
04/28/2010, 04:52 AM
I would not increase your dosing of Vodka, since your nitrate is dropping. Once your nitrate level hits zero, you may have to back of on your vodka dosing to about 1/2 of what you have been dosing and then make adjustments from there to maintain your nitrate level.

HighlandReefer
04/28/2010, 05:24 AM
This article has some good info regarding bubble algae:

Bubble Algae: Selected Description, controls and Comments
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

Onedeadbob
04/28/2010, 02:23 PM
Nice article Highland!
The girlfriend has a serious BA outbreak in her nano... looking into getting an emerald to help.

HighlandReefer
04/28/2010, 04:24 PM
Your welcome. ;)

shandy_say
04/29/2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks HighlandReefer. I read that article you posted. The only way to eliminate bubble algae is either by picking them out manually or nutrient deprivation. Will manually remove it this weekend since its still very few. I just hope no more pop up.

As for the vodka dosing, will have to continue on with the vodka dosing as when i checked yesterday my nitrates returned to 20 which is kind of frustrating. I haven't changed anything in my tank yet. Will do a 20% waterchange over the weekend and see if that brings down my nitrates any further.

spy_spy
06/17/2010, 10:35 AM
i don't know... maybe coincidence but I have Bubble Algae problem since i started dosing vodka.

wmilas
06/17/2010, 11:50 AM
I've been dosing carbon, first vodka, then VSV, now just vinegar for 6 months now. I've managed to eradicate some nasty turf algae and everything EXCEPT bubble algae. I even melted my chaeto. In fact I find that bubble algae grows even faster now. Its very odd. The only thing keeping it under control are my emeralds and manual removal.

tmz
06/17/2010, 01:51 PM
I have noticed a bit of bubble algae here and there since carbon dosing for about 18monhts. There is virtually no other nusiance algae. Perhaps is is a more effective scavenger in low nutrient conditions and benefits to some extent as macroalgaes wane.

shandy_say
06/17/2010, 06:50 PM
Its kinda frustrating to see all the nuisance algae disappear with vodka dosing except for the bubble algae. Despite my efforts to remove them manually, some still pop up. Maybe when nitrates hit 0 completely that is when it will disappear. Will have to see when I reach that goal.

As of today Im already up to 6ml of vodka (3ml in the morning and 3ml in the evening). Phosphate is stable at 0.01ppm while nitrates have started to go down finally. Its now at 10ppm. It increased from 5ppm to 20ppm last weekend cause I siphoned out the detritus in my sump. I guess some were still left and was mixed back up in the water when i siphoned some of it out.