PDA

View Full Version : Maintain a healthy Deep Sand Bed (DSB)

kensai
04/27/2010, 08:04 PM
I am thinking of using a DSB and a refugium for my new tank but I see a lot of horrible stories of a DSB in the long run due to poor care of the sand bed.

Would like to know what kind of maintenance is required for a DSB which can last for years...

I have heard that it is important that the LR are not placed directly on top of the sand but "lift up" by PVC tubes. Is this helpful?

Does the sand bed needs vacuuming? If yes, how often and is it all the way down to the bottom of the sand bed or just the top inch or so?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

thebkramer
04/27/2010, 08:23 PM
here are some helpful links :)
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/rs/feature/index.php
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=191688

Tuscaquatics
04/27/2010, 09:02 PM
If you set up the fuge properly to begin with, you shouldn't have many problems with the DSB. One thing that is often overlooked is not allowing raw tank water into the fuge area. You don't want food and detritus getting in there and wallowing in the DSB. So make sure when you build it to put the fuge AFTER your skimmer and some sort of mechanical filtration.

Then if you want to feed the fuge a little bit of flake or shrimp pellets or something once in a while to keep the pods thriving, you can but you won't have to worry about excess.

Also, I wouldn't recommend vacuuming it or touching it all. What you need to do is seed it properly with good fuge critters that will clean the sand for you and keep it turned over. Stuff like worms and brittle stars. The way a DSB works properly is to leave it alone and let nature take its course.

You definitely don't want to dig into the DSB at all. This is where people run into problems. There are all kinds of nasty things under there that you want, but you want them under the sand, not in your water.

kensai
04/28/2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys!

Make sure I didn't confuse any of you. When I mean a DBS, I mean it would be in the display tank and not only in the refugium. would this make any difference?

Tuscaquatics
04/28/2010, 12:05 AM
Both? You don't need both. And if you're gonna have a fuge, put it in there. It will cause a mess in your display tank. And it needs to be 3-5 inches. You want that much sand in your tank?

kensai
04/28/2010, 12:43 AM
I like to have some sand in the display tank.....is this not ideal?

reason is for the look and the critters I like to keep - jawfish, shrimps and etc.

Thanks!

Tuscaquatics
04/28/2010, 12:50 AM
Some is fine. Around an inch. Just not more than that.

kensai
04/28/2010, 12:56 AM
thanks - then should the sand in the display (about an inch) needs to be vacuumed or cleanned regularly?

Thanks!!:beer:

Tuscaquatics
04/28/2010, 12:59 AM
No, that's why you put so little. So you won't have to vacuum it and whatnot. And you can get a sleeper goby of some kind to keep it sparkling clean.

kensai
04/28/2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks so much....you are a star!

No, that's why you put so little. So you won't have to vacuum it and whatnot. And you can get a sleeper goby of some kind to keep it sparkling clean.

spieg
04/28/2010, 06:59 AM
Given the choice of livestock (jawfish), a 1" sandbed in the display tank is not ideal. There shouldnt be any problem in having a dsb in your display and in your fuge if you so desire.

thebkramer
04/28/2010, 08:20 AM
I like to have some sand in the display tank.....is this not ideal?

reason is for the look and the critters I like to keep - jawfish, shrimps and etc.

Thanks!

I have 3in and works well for my Dusky Jawfish. I did put pvc piping under his rock so it doesn't ever drop on him. He seems to be happy :)
I do vaccuum my sandbed when I do water changes, but not near his spot.

kensai
04/29/2010, 12:52 AM
how old is your tank? when you vacuum, do you go all the way down or just the top?

Thanks!

I have 3in and works well for my Dusky Jawfish. I did put pvc piping under his rock so it doesn't ever drop on him. He seems to be happy :)
I do vaccuum my sandbed when I do water changes, but not near his spot.

Tuscaquatics
04/29/2010, 01:03 AM
So you're gonna build your tank for the needs of one fish? If that's what you wanna do, then go for it. If you want to make your life easier, use one inch of sand.

What's the point of a DSB in the fuge if you've got a much bigger one in the DT? It's only going to do a small fraction of the filtration that the one in your DT will.

Like I said, if you want a species tank and those species need a DSB then go for it.

spieg
04/29/2010, 05:14 AM
So you're gonna build your tank for the needs of one fish? If that's what you wanna do, then go for it. If you want to make your life easier, use one inch of sand.
Absolutely. Isnt that what responsible husbandry is all about? If you arent planning on providing appropriate accommodations, why plan on keeping the animal at all? ;)

What's the point of a DSB in the fuge if you've got a much bigger one in the DT? It's only going to do a small fraction of the filtration that the one in your DT will.
Additional nitrate reduction, pod habitat, redundancy. While there are some merits to over filtration, im not sure they apply here. What do you see the primary negatives are to it?

Like I said, if you want a species tank and those species need a DSB then go for it.
All of the animals we keep have needs. Whether it be light or flow requirements for a coral, natural forage for a fish, space to swim or grow, substrate requirements, or any number of other considerations. If you arent planning on trying to meet the needs of the animal you are considering, why would you consider it? Just my $.02. :)

Tuscaquatics
04/29/2010, 05:29 AM
All good points. I guess what I was getting at is that I didn't realize he was catering to one specific species. If that's what the creature needs, then by all means give it to him.

But I stand by my original statement that a DSB in the display is, overall, not a good idea, unless the needs of a specific species merit it. Why keep the sand deep if you're going to have to vacuum it? Every time you vacuum it you're sucking away a good portion of the things you're trying to help thrive.