PDA

View Full Version : TReatment with Cupramine questions

Aquafred
04/28/2010, 01:15 AM
HI,
Helping out a friend tret a couple of fish (Tang and flame)
Newly bought and showing a few signs of ich.
It's been a few years that I haven't treated for ich so just to make sure:
He'll be using Cupramine ( still waiting for him to confirm if thats what he's got)
-Please confirm how much to dose per Gallon of water and dosing regimen.
-He's got some caulerpa in his Q tank should he take it out before treating?
-should he take out carbon from the filter just for a week or for the 4 weeks of treatment?
-If he does a water change in 2-3 weeks should he dose Cupramine again?
-Will cupramin affect the ammonia alert and make it give false results?
Q tank has been running for few months with weekly water cahnges coming from the tank and bacteria additions. IT's got a few LR in it as well as a couple of mechanical filters with bioballs sponge and carbon.
Thanks

RBU1
04/28/2010, 03:58 AM
The Cupramine dosing instructions are on their website I believe its 1ml per 10.5 gallons wait 48 hours then dose again. In my case I have a 125 gallon QT and my total dosage to get me to .5 is 24ml....I space that out over a week. adding 6 ml every couple days to make sure the fish is tolerating the copper ok....

Get rid of the algae
remove carbon for the 4 week treatment
if he does a water change yes he is going to have to re-dose the makeup water so if he does a 10.5 gallon water change he will need to add 2ml's to the 10.5 gallons to get it to .5
Ammonia alert disk will work fine.
I would get rid of the rock and just use PVC pipe so it does not obsorb any copper.

Hope that helps...

Aquafred
04/28/2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info.
IS it Ok to take fish immediately to display afer 4 weeks or does one have to observe fro a couple of weeks after a big water change to make sure they won't get ich again?

RBU1
04/28/2010, 08:22 AM
Well thats a matter of how anal you are. I personally do my 4 weeks at .5 then put them in the main display. If you are conident that the copper level was maintained at .5 for 4 weeks I would have no problem putting them in the display. If you want to be real safe yes after 4 weeks at .5 do a large water change and run carbon to remove the copper. If after a couple weeks they stay clean your good.