PDA

View Full Version : somebody please help me

young doz
04/28/2010, 05:26 AM
hey everyone
i just bought a resun sp-1100L filter. I put it in my tank, turned it on and straight away my water went really cloudy, it looked as if it was pumping too much water, like there were too many bubbles? its recommended aquarium size is 150L but i have it in an 80L is this the problem?
i have heaps of coral in that tank aswell so if anyone can help, please answer quikly..

thanks

patsfan1130
04/28/2010, 06:41 AM
I am not familiar with these filters but a quick google check did not give me any indication to think it would cloud your tank. Are you running any cartridges in it? Did you rinse it out before installing it?

Avi
04/28/2010, 07:04 AM
is this powerhead (the resun sp-1100) connected to an undergravel filter?

young doz
04/28/2010, 08:31 AM
hey this is a pic of the filter, hopefully this helps

http://www.acvamax.ro/images/sp1100.jpg

as i said i have no idea whats wrong its just hanging in my tank like in the pic, like all my other filters.

sanababit
04/28/2010, 08:44 AM
disconect the hose from the top of the pump, its probably drawing in air and creating a lot of bubbles, and everytime you connect a new filter is good to do a little rinse before putting it in your tank, good luck

sana

drunkfish3
04/28/2010, 08:47 AM
if the end of that hose is above water it will suck in air. you don't need that hose attached if you are not trying to put air into the tank.

young doz
04/28/2010, 09:56 AM
dont i need air?
all my other sw tanks have air going into them
sorry if i sound newb but this has never happend to me with a filter before

and by the way thanks for the replys people

young doz
04/28/2010, 10:26 AM
or would the flow of the filter disturb the waters surface enough to provide substantial oxygen?

Jukas
04/28/2010, 10:27 AM
You do need to oxygenate the water, however you do not need air in the form of micro bubbles. In most setups there is plenty of water movement at the surface to facilitate gas exchange and ensure there is enough oxygen in the water. If you run a skimmer in your sump it is also constantly pulling o2 into your water.

There is a noticeable difference however between micro bubbles and cloudy water. Micro bubbles look like just that, thousands of tiny little bubbles of air, usually up against the glass. Cloudy coloration can occur when you add a new filter, or filter media and don't flush it first (Phosban/carbon etc) or if your new PH is hitting rocks and stirring up detritus.

patsfan1130
04/28/2010, 10:27 AM
Good surface agitation is all you need. Get that hose out of there :)

young doz
04/28/2010, 10:32 AM
thanks heaps guys aye
yeah ive got an octopus skimmer on the way for that tank, should be here by tomorro.
and its deffinantly micro bubbles im so sure of that.
oh and what if pulling the hose out doesnt work? should i take back the filter?

Jukas
04/28/2010, 10:46 AM
thanks heaps guys aye
and its deffinantly micro bubbles im so sure of that.
oh and what if pulling the hose out doesnt work? should i take back the filter?

Micro bubbles require an intake of air from outside the water. Thus either part of the filter intake is exposed above the water line, or more likely the hose is above the water line. When either of those happen air is sucked into the filter/ph which creates micro bubbles.

Make sure the filter is fully submerged and pull the hose and I bet it goes away.

young doz
04/28/2010, 11:12 PM
hey just wanted to say thanks to jukas, patsfan, drunkfish, avi & sanababit for your replys
i pulled the venturi pipe out and the filter is running properly
thanks heaps guys