PDA

View Full Version : Calling all External overflow GURUs! Need some opinions!

lukinrats
04/28/2010, 10:14 AM
I am having a custom 180 gallon tank built. I am wanting the builder to put an external coast to coast overflow on the tank. I do not have permission to use the builder's name here, so I will just send him a link to the thread, and then if he wants to chime in and make his ID known, then that will be all the better.

The tank will be 4'x3'x2'. In addition to the external C2C I plan to run either a Herbie style drain system or BeanAnimal's drain system.

I sent the builder an email with links to both of those, and also explained what I planned.

I also sketched out a crude drawing of what I wanted, and sent that to him as well.

Currently, the builder is concerned about a C2C overflow not being very strong. I can't say that I blame him, however, an external C2C overflow box is what I want.

The builder contacted me to express his concerns, and suggested that instead of 1 entire C2C overflow, we should go with 4-6 seperate external overflows. At the time, I just said OK, because it sounded fine to me, and thought he should just go with what made him comfortable. This will be fine, as long as I can still use the Herbie or Bean's drain. I am just concerned that I can't, and that is what this is all about.

Since that call, I have had some time to think, and I feel that doing the overflow box(s) this way, will mess up my plans for one of the drain systems that I listed

I have gathered up some links, and questions for the builder, and I am about to send them to him. I wanted to post the same info here, in the hopes of getting a discussion going. Hopefully something can be resolved as the best plan. The text below is what I am suggesting. Please tell me what you guys think.

I would like to give credit to Jnrowe for his external overflow on his tank, and for posting pictures of it for us to check out. He has a really great tank.

If you check out these two links you will see this guy has a 1000g acrylic tank with a C2C overflow. It seems to not be a problem.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10221425&postcount=6

http://home.wavecable.com/~jrowe/constphoto.htm

Note how the actual spots where the water falls into the overflow are routed out slits, and that he has some removable teeth in there. It actually looks as though you could go without the teeth. If you made the slits thin enough, so that only the smallest fish or snail could make it through, then it would negate the need for the teeth. I don't know how big you think the slits would need to be though

Here is the link for the overflow combs.

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=90

I would have to order some, and have them shipped to you in order to be sure the slits were done right. However, if you think some very thin slits across the back of the tank would be better, then that is probably a better way to go.

From an article that I am reading, about sumps, and overflows........ "The best tool in combating these tragedies is to properly minimize the layer of water going over the overflow as described earlier in this article. Having a thin water layer is the best way to make it difficult for critters to make their way into the plumbing"

Acrylics
04/28/2010, 11:39 AM
is your new tank going to be glass or acrylic? With acrylic - I might be able to help, not so much with glass.

James

lukinrats
04/28/2010, 11:40 AM
Its an acrylic tank

Acrylics
04/28/2010, 11:50 AM
Assuming you're using 1/2" or better acrylic with a single crossbrace. Make 2 slots on the back wall, separated by a piece of meat which is to stay inline with the centerbrace (this is an absolute must IMO.) Make the overflow out of 3/4" for heights up to 9-10" and 1" for heights over that (15-16" max) and you won't have to worry about a crossbrace for the overflow itself. Personally, I would never built a C2C out of anything less than 3/4" acrylic. You can build removeable grills if you'd like, but not necessary.

Doing the above will yield a tank that is every bit as strong as if it had no external overflow. The bottom of the overflow being securely glued to the back wall will act as a secondary flange and gives more rigidity to the back.

If the above doesn't make sense to you, please post a drawing of the tank as my way of doing things may differ from others'

HTH,
James

troylee
04/28/2010, 11:57 AM
+1 james.... that's how i built all my personal ones...;) they all have a c2c with beans setup and run flawless....