PDA

View Full Version : nonreef safe wrasses in reef

BigJim
04/28/2010, 11:57 AM
I was wondering how "non" safe some of the following wrasses were in a reef tank. What success/horror stories have you had concerning some of these (or other) wrasses? Why are they listed as "not safe" or "with caution" in a reef? I currently have a 150g reef with a six line wrasse. I tried adding a McCoskers wrasse but the six line attacked it until it died. What success would I have with these wrasses? My tank does have 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 feather duster, and multiple hermits/snails.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2675&pcatid=2675

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+272&pcatid=272

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+353&pcatid=353

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+346&pcatid=346

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+1151&pcatid=1151

angel-luver!!
04/28/2010, 12:08 PM
heya, i have experience with all these wrasses, the with caution is just because most wrasse are predatory, small hermits/crabs/shrimps/tubeworms can be killed and eaten (depending on size of the fish in comparison).
the 3 thalassoma wrasse and the hortulanus are prob gonna be the worst ones, the hortulanus and the pink face being the better out of the 4 in my experience, but they can all reach substantial size and most shrimps etc will be at risk of being eaten. species like the lunar can be particularly boisterous knocking things over. the hortulanus will also burry itself in the sand, causing ditsurbance there (again not so bad as a young individual but once gets larger)

the best out of the lot from personal experience i would say xmas wrasse, if you decide to buy, then make sure its bigger than your pj. it will still be a risk to smaller inverts and worms but from specimens ive seen its better than the other 4.

angel-luver!!
04/28/2010, 12:10 PM
saying that ive seen them all kept in reef tanks succesfully, but wouldnt recommend any of the thalassoma species in reefs or larger hortulanus. :) hope that helps.

Sheol
04/28/2010, 05:06 PM
I have a juvi lunare in my 36 gallon. But I'm telling you, that is not going to be its long term home. Not too troublesome right now, but a very fast glutton that swipes food from its tankmates.

Matthew
Next time, I'll wait & get a Mystery Wrasse.

betamed
04/28/2010, 09:07 PM
I have a checkerboard wrasse in my frag tank. Good natured fish and has not bothered hermits or cleaner ship in there. I had an xmas wrasse for a long time as well that was well behaved.

Eric the half-bee
04/28/2010, 09:35 PM
I have brown birdnose, red coris & green wrasses in my tank. Apart from taking on hermits and small snails, they seem to behave. They've been in my tank for >1year.

gradth
04/29/2010, 09:30 AM
Had a xmas wrasse that killed 2 percs. Harrassed pretty much everything in my tank. Beatiful fish, but mean.

C4DC
04/29/2010, 12:12 PM
Had a xmas wrasse that killed 2 percs. Harrassed pretty much everything in my tank. Beatiful fish, but mean.

Mine has been a model citizen aside from picking at really small snails here and there. Guess it is the luck of the draw.

angel-luver!!
04/29/2010, 12:27 PM
Guess it is the luck of the draw.

same as everything else in this hobby lol :)

BigJim
04/30/2010, 06:56 AM
Thanks for all of the info thus far. I'm leaning towards the Marble/Hortulanus Wrasse. It is listed as peaceful and reef compatible with caution. I only have two concerns: the max size and my six line wrasse.

What are the chances of the wrasse actually getting that large and how long would that take? I have a 150g with sand and plenty of rock.

As I stated before, my six line showed aggression to two McCoskers wrasses. When I bought the six line I also purchased a McCoskers at the same time. The six line attacked it in QT and the McCosker never made it to the DT. Several months later I bought a new McCosker and added it to the DT after weeks of QT. The six line went after that one also until it died. Would this six line go after the Marble?

gradth
04/30/2010, 02:05 PM
Mine has been a model citizen aside from picking at really small snails here and there. Guess it is the luck of the draw.

Mine was a model citizen in my 55 with everyone including a pair of ocelleris. It was when I moved it to the 180 that he became the spawn of satan.(satan being the spotted hawkfish that was an angel in the 55 also and the devil in the 180).:sad2:

angel-luver!!
05/01/2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all of the info thus far. I'm leaning towards the Marble/Hortulanus Wrasse. It is listed as peaceful and reef compatible with caution. I only have two concerns: the max size and my six line wrasse.

What are the chances of the wrasse actually getting that large and how long would that take? I have a 150g with sand and plenty of rock.

As I stated before, my six line showed aggression to two McCoskers wrasses. When I bought the six line I also purchased a McCoskers at the same time. The six line attacked it in QT and the McCosker never made it to the DT. Several months later I bought a new McCosker and added it to the DT after weeks of QT. The six line went after that one also until it died. Would this six line go after the Marble?

if you definatly want the hortulanus, make sure its bigger than the pj, the pj may still initially give it a hard time, but if the new wrasse is at least double the pj size your chances will be better, a smaller hortulanus probably wont stand up for itself in aggressive encounters.
they can grow fast if fed well and ive seen some very big ones! the bigger it gets the more risk it will be to inverts.

Brickyardgreg
05/01/2010, 09:45 PM
The six line is going to kill whatever other wrasse you put in. They are small but very nasty towards other wrasses.

KillerReef
06/13/2010, 09:18 PM
saying that ive seen them all kept in reef tanks succesfully, but wouldnt recommend any of the thalassoma species in reefs or larger hortulanus. :) hope that helps.

The six line is going to kill whatever other wrasse you put in. They are small but very nasty towards other wrasses.
completely agree with both statements...

lisafoster
06/14/2010, 04:47 AM
I made the mistake of purchasing a lunar wrasse as soon as it hit the water it started flipping snails it wiped out 20 -30 hermits and snails in 3 days before I got it out. It was very active and was only going to get bigger knocking thinfs over.I have a leopard wrasse never bothers anyone he is a great fish.

AngelAddict
06/14/2010, 05:28 AM
From my experience, thalassoma wrasses are CORAL safe but will eat all inverts, some will eat small fish as well.

stanlalee
06/14/2010, 07:01 AM
all the Halichoeres wrasses may or may not mess with the inverts.

all the Thalassoma wrasses are garaunteed to eat every shrimp, crab and snail it can catch.

I dont have shrimp or crabs and could care less about the 3 or 4 snails I have so they'd all be perfectly reef/coral safe for me, I just dont have a large enough tank.