PDA

View Full Version : Planning Stage 72x30x30

TyroRuan
04/28/2010, 07:54 PM
Ok, so i have decided its time to finally get a BIG tank. I have been doing research and gathering ideas for months and months now. This is what i have come up with so far

1. 72x30x30 Starphire Tank, with CtC overflow and 2 CL's "Alternating cycles"
- My main goal is a natural aquascape void of equipment

2. Tiled stand "Attached Pic" - currently deciding between steel or wood frame - will have a tiled hood also, ignore the tank in the picture :D

3. MH lighting supplemented with T5's - 3/250w, 4-6 T5's

4. Refugium

5. REDSB

6. All the other regular bells/whistles

OK, so those are the basics. As far a the CL is concerned i need a little info, i got the idea to use 2 overlapping cl's from another build here on RC "Can anyone ping that build? lost the bookmark" they were running two pumps on a rotating 2hr on off schedule. My main question here was is it possible to achieve the same thing without running 2 pumps?

Also on another note, i plan on using very little sand in the display tank, only 1 -1.5 inches and only in viewable areas, i like the idea of a bare bottom tank, but hate the look. "Another idea from a build here on RC" With that in mind should i be able to keep burrowing wrasses? and opinion wise should i be able to conceal the CL plumbing in the tank, and the pvc supports for the rock and still achieve my goals? I will be regularly cleaning the sand

Main issue is space, i have to have my RODI and Mixing containers outside in a storage closet and plum them into the water lines for the washer. So all my other equipment must be self contained in the stand. My ideas to counter this so far have been to make a smaller stand to sit beside the display to house an ATO reservoir, and possibly a shallow display refugium on top. Any input here is welcome.

Since i will be adopting a bare bottom philosophy "Kinda" i need another way to handle nitrates efficiently, so i decided to give a REDSB a try, but i need a place to house it any idea's would be welcome here also

Lastly the lighting, i am concerned that i may not have strong enough lighting. What do you guys think? would i be better off going with a tank height of 28 rather than 30? This will be a mixed reef